It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2002, 08:21 PM   #1

weno HB User
Question Nitrous Oxide

Hi,

I was hoping someone could answer a couple of questions regarding treatment under Nitrous Oxide <Laughing Gas>.

I have been prone to Panic Attacks and have avoided the dentist for most of my life. However, during the past several months the pain had become so bad, about 2 weeks ago I had my first appointment in 20 + years.

The dentist I found seems to be definitely concerned and caring - acknowledging my anxiety, but the bottom line is I am losing my four upper front and four lower front teeth. In addition one in the far back - for a total of 9 extractions. During the extractions, he is also going to work on my gums too.

Next week I am going in for an impression (for an immediate upper/lower partial) and then the week after, I will have the surgery. Okay - scares me to type that - LOL.

My question concerns Nitrous Oxide. The dentist suggested this for my anxiety. Never having it before, I do not know what to expect. Is it something that will help me lose track of time? I think the hardest part will be sitting for several hours in the dental chair. Just having him look at me for a few minutes was terribly stressful for me - sweating profusely, etc....

Thanks all

Bill

Old 06-12-2002, 08:33 PM   #2

KC Lee HB User
Well, I just had all 4 wisdom teeth removed. The oral surgeon gave me laughing gas first then, the IV. I was very scared. I must say the "laughing gas" had no negative effect on me at all. It was my own fear and emotions that were making me upset. I think that if you go into the situation and try to relax as much as possible, you will be just fine. The surgery part of my experience was cake. The recovery is a little tough though. I think we have this pre-concieved idea that the dentist is "evil" or whatever and scare the crap out of ourselves. Relax and you will be just fine. Good luck!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2002, 03:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Bill just wanna say im holding your hand http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif l have had very similar feelings like you, the panic etc (mine began during a visit to dentists), i understand deeply where your coming from good luck

Old 06-13-2002, 10:38 AM   #4

Araminta HB User
Nitrus oxide makes some people sick. My surgeon gave it to me before having my wisdom teeth out due to my anxiety, and it made me violently ill and didn't numb me at all. Only the IV knocked me out.

Old 06-13-2002, 05:45 PM   #5

whiptofized1 HB User
Talking

I had my wisdom teeth removed a couple months ago and had never had nitrous oxide before. i dont believe i could have done it without it! i just remember feeling totally a'buzz and then to go along i started thinking of random things, like a funny conversation i had recently and started picturing really screwed up images. it was great and the dentist doing his work seemed SO far away off in a distant world which was great. it didn't make me sick.

Old 06-13-2002, 10:31 PM   #6

weno HB User
Whip -

Thanks for your reply. Just curious, besides the dentist seeming to be *far away*, did you have any comprehension of time? Again, I am hoping the gas will help me get through what appears will be several hours in the chair.

Regards

Old 06-15-2002, 09:41 PM   #7

spiritasmitzi HB User
Bill..
I LOVE Nitrous Oxide! I remember having it when I was like 12, and ever since then I have had it.. well, part of it is the wimp that I am for pain, but it just makes a bad situation better . As far as the time thing, yes.. a few weeks ago when I had my last teeth pulled it seemed like the time from start to finish was like five minutes, but when I left the chair I noticed it had been over an hour.. so yes it does affect your time perception. From my experience you will know what's going on around you, but you'll be in your own world, too, and not caring. I've heard about nasty dentists who rape their patients, and I always wondered how in the world that the dentist could have sex with them and they not know it.. well, obvious to me they were on Nitrous.. I remember thinking that five years ago when I had the first of my teeth pulled and had partials put in. LOL.. But IMO it has always been a good experience, but I do know that others have been very sick from it. I wish you well.
MItzi

Old 06-15-2002, 11:33 PM   #8

weno HB User
Mitzi -

Thank you for this information. It is something I really needed to hear and has helped ease my mind.

From your email to Lalala, it appears that not only are we about the same age, but also I will be going through something similiar to what you just went through. Besides the teeth, he also has to do some gum work too. To be honest, I wasnt so much concerned with the pain but weather I could simply handle the chair for two hours without panicking. I didnt know if the gas would help with that and it sounds like from your email it will

Regards

The following user gives a hug of support to weno:
natrw (11-12-2010)
Closed Thread