It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2002, 05:55 PM   #1

kittykat46 HB User
Post message for lalala

lalala - if you are still out there, how are you doing with your dentures?

....and if there are any others out there that care to share their denture experiences, please post.

i am still needing alot of experience stories, as i am just now staring the whole process.

oral surgeon consult tomorrow, and i intend to have full immediate dentures by this time next month.

i am so scared!!!

thanks.

Old 06-10-2002, 07:31 PM   #2

lalala HB User
Hey!! That post definately caught my eye! hehehe.

The dentures are going really well! It has been about two weeks now...my gums are a lot more healed, they hardly hurt anymore! I did have something in the gum that looked like a cold sore that was popped open because of the dentures rubbing, which hurt a bit. But that is basically healed too.

Eating is almost normal. I can chew very well on my back teeth, only i cant really chew on the front teeth right now. Like I cant yet bite into things, like sandwitches, pizza, etc. I can eat those things, i just have to cut them or tear off pieces because the front is sensitive still, since that is where i actually had 2 adult teeth, so it is more raw there. But things that are bite sized or that can be cut are becoming incredibly easy to eat! I think i am at the point when i am chewing better than before i had the dentures, because before, i had probelms chewing anything hard. Sometimes, pieces of food, like nuts or other hard things, might get trapped under the bottom denture, which is a little annoying because you have to get it out or the denture wont be stable. So sometimes i like manouver my tounge around and try to fix that, because lets say i am in class. I dont exactly want to take it out in class! So it just has to be learned how to fix little problems like these, but i am adjusting, and its all good!

Also the swelling from the extractions has gone down, so the dentures are not as tight as before. Its not a bad thing, it feels more comfortable. Before, i would sometimes want to take out my dentures becuase they felt tight. They havent fallen out or anything, i was always scared of that happening! Plus, i am going in for a periodical adjustment on the 19th.

They look soooooo good, and natural. A lotta people have noticed, thinking i have taken my braces off. I AM SMILING SO MUCH NOW!!

So basically, negative experiences would include the initial pain and swelling, chewing at first, and getting food stuck in them..but i think that it will all pass, and it allrady has begun to.

But seriously, i think that the dentures are improving my life more every day, because i am getting used to them, and i will have successfully changed something that I used to hate! You shouldnt have anything to be afraid of..how are they doing the extractions? local anesthesia? I was awake for the whole thing, just the mouth numbed. I was also pretty scared before the whole thing....but i dont really know of what! THey try to make it as little pain as possible, and i believe that if anyone's teeth are in the condition of needing dentures, then the finished product will seem well worth all the expense, time spent, etc. I hope everything goes really really well with your dentures! I still am here too, in case you have some more questions or anything. I tried to cover a lotta stuff in this post, hehe, its pretty long!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2002, 06:43 PM   #3

kittykat46 HB User
lalala - thanks for information again on your experiences thus far.

just had oral surgeon appt today and will begin with impressions next week,,,so will probably be the first of july when i am going through the pain of it all.

have a great summer and thanks for being so sweet in your post and answering all our probbing questions.

Old 06-15-2002, 09:48 PM   #4

spiritasmitzi HB User
Hi there! AS I told Lalala, I had my all of my remaining 4 top teeth pulled a couple of weeks ago.. and while this whole proccess can be daunting, in the end, it's really worth it! Go online and do some research about dentures, it will help with questions and other fears. I fought my denture doctor, I wanted STRAIGHT WHITE teeth, and he said he could do that, but he did not recomend it, and felt I would be sorry. I listened to him, realizing that he had been making dentures for over 20 years and boy am I glad! My new uppers are whiter than my old partials, which are a bit whiter than my old teeth and they are not perfect, but have imperfection built in.. not much, but they LOOK very natural, and people have said how natural they look.. and of course since I am going through this I've noticed other dentures and stuff.. a lady who I work with got full dentures a few months ago, and I had not seen her for a long time, and I noticed that all her denture are white, white, and very straight and even and they look fake.. there IS a difference between healthy pearly white natural teeth and white straight dentures. I am SOOOOO glad I listened to my denturist.. I even let him say "told you so" )

Good luck and keep in touch and if you have questions, please ask
Mitzi

Old 06-17-2002, 05:37 PM   #5

kittykat46 HB User
mitzi - i am not going to a denturist, and only hope my dentist has experience too, and i will recommend they not be white white, and not perfect either.

thanks for info.

Closed Thread