It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2002, 05:11 PM   #1

ohsosad HB User
Unhappy frustrated with dentists and arranging oral surgery for partial/full dentures

I will try to make this as short as possible. I am 20 years old. My teeth are decayed, broken and look aweful. I have not really smiled or laughed in over two years. It is a huge emotional burden for me. I stay home all the time, I dont associate with anyone anymore, and depression has really set in. I want a normal life, and feel that I can't. I have had several infections in the past year, pulling one tooth at a time, to stop the infection. I have seen several dentists and 2 oral surgeons, all accusing me of doing meth, which I dont, and has left me leaving thier offices in tears and sometimes even crying. I know that isnt the only thing that causes tooth decay. I finally found some state aid where they send me somewhere to have all the work done for free, so I make the appointment, set up a treatment plan before going. When I get there, I am told by the oral surgeon that for my next appointment, I will have all the extractions, then have to wait 6-8 weeks before having the dentures put in. He said that is absolutely the only way to do it, which I know is wrong. The oral surgeon I seen before that told me that I can have the impressions made before hand and have them put in the same day. So, I have made the decision to get the work done here, but have to pay for it out of my pocket, which will take years to pay off, but I am willing. Now, before making the appointment with the oral surgeon, I have to see talk with a dentist about making impressions for dentures, which I had done 6 weeks ago by the dentist he referred to me,&before finding that i qualified for state aid and all that. ( the reason i decided not to go for that was because it is a five hour drive, and i dont exactly feel like walking around with absolutely no teeth)Anyway, I called the dentist office where i had the impressions made, to tell them that i need to know how soon the dentures could be done. This is what I found out; they do not have on record that i had impressions made that day and want me to come in for another consultation and to make an impression. Since money is a big problem and this is the dentist that made me feel so aweful before, I hung up, frustrated. The only thing I am getting is the run-around. Does it really have to be this big of a hassle? Does it really need to be this hard. I am so frustrated. I'm glad I found this website. Is there anyone that could give my any kind of advice or support, anything? I am totaly alone in this and really could use some help. Thank You.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2002, 12:32 PM   #2

kittykat46 HB User
find another dentist to do impressions. I would not go back to dentist that lost your records.

no dentist should or surgeon should make such accusations.

even if a person does drugs or did drugs, you are not there for that!!!!!!!you are there to get your teeth fixed.

you should be able to go to a dentist for consultation and exam, and they should be able to refer you to oral surgeon. you make appt with oral surgeon after the exam with the dentist.

once the date has been set for surgery to remove teeth, after your consult with oral surgeon, you will have 4-5 appts with dentist to have teeth made, so they will be ready for day of oral surgery.

i am a dental phobic, and just had my first appt today,,,and this is the steps we are taking.

find another dentist,,,,and if the next one approaches you in the same manner,,,get your purse and walk out!!

good luck to you.

Old 06-04-2002, 01:27 PM   #3

Everquest HB User
Look into a dental college/university. I am going to one in my area on the 29th of July for a screening. They said over the phone the cost for implants and dentures would be HALF that of a normal practice.

You might want to look into such a possibility. Make sure to ask them for examples of their work and about the quality of care you will recieve.

At the college I'm going to, they have a full blown clinic, and the dentists are all experienced professionals as well as educators at the school. The students of course, watch the procedures and do assist the dentist as an "aide" or they do simply hygeine type of stuff.

I am optomistic, but I guess I'll know for sure if I will be going to them for treatment after my meeting w/ them.

Old 06-19-2002, 04:07 PM   #4

Brandee HB User
Hi there, I went thru this whole thing in febuary, i also am very young for dentures and after accusations of drug use and alot of bad experiences with dentists i had seen i finally found a doc to pull them, i had my impressions done in january, i picked the teeth up on feb 4th had my extractions done on feb 7th and my teeth in right away. I would recommend finding a dentures who will take impressions and make them in a matter of weeks, and scheadule the extractions for after the teeth are done, I can say gladly that i have never been happier with my smile. good luck

Closed Thread