It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2002, 04:37 PM   #1

Rachbo HB User
Unhappy Root Canal vs. Extraction????? HElP

Found out today that I have a cracked tooth. The dentist says I need a root canal, and it could still need to be extracted, depending how far the crack is near my jaw. It would cost $695 (which I don't have) for the root canal or $100 to $200 for the extraction. All to be paid up front. Can I wait to do anything, just living with the pain untill I can save up the $695, or should I just have it extracted. It is in the back of my mouth, so it won't be seen. I am really stressing about this. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2002, 04:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
hi rachbo, if your one of those nervous people like myself id just have it extracted http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif if l knew then wot l know now i would of just got my tooth out its quick and cheaper, if he cant guarantee you wont loose it l wouldnt waste your money. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2002, 07:22 AM   #3
Inactive

Debbie46 HB User
Talking

Hi, Rachbo. My advice to you is to try and save the tooth. I'm not saying a root canal will work: but hopefully it will. After the root canal, you can put a stainless steel crown put on it, since its a back tooth. These types of crowns are normally used on children; since they are thought to be temporary crowns. But I have one in my mouth: it has lasted for over 12 years now. Can you ask your dentist if you could work out a payment plan with him? I hope they will agree to do this; as it really throws off your chewing ability; even with the loss of one tooth. I lost a very back molar years ago...it took me a long time to adjust to it being gone. Whatever you decide to do, good luck...Debbie

Old 06-11-2002, 12:14 PM   #4

Amandasu HB User
Question

It is so strange that you asked that, because I am having the same problem! I am scheduled to have a root canal on Friday. I just had all four wisdom teeth out two weeks ago for over $500 after insurance. (The wisdom teeth grew in crooked and broke one of my back molars, hence the root canal.)

I was in terrible pain for a while, but the pain has gone away in the past two days. It is going to cost me over $1000 for the root canal not including the crown. I have to wait until next year to get that! My insurance only pays $1000 per calendar year.

I have not paid off the $500 yet and I am in TURMOIL over having to borrow an additional $1000 when I don't know if I can pay it off. Does anyone know if a root canal is necessary right away? Before, I was in so much pain I would have sold my first-born, but now I'm petrified at handing over that much money.

I know that I technically should have it taken care of. But is it absolutely necessary?

Old 06-19-2002, 01:47 PM   #5

Emi106 HB User
I had no problems with Root canal in the past. But I been having problems with Root canals. Paid Tons of $ and nothing to show for.
If your Dr is telling you U might end up losing the tooth Just get it pulled. Root canal's not 100%.
Last year I had 1 tooth root canaled crowned and a retreat on the same tooth and Paid reg price . I stil had pain so I had it pulled. and this month, 2 teeth root canaled and got it pulled.
At least your Dr told you the option. none of my Dr's told me I might have to get it pulled. They never gave me an option.
Good luck.

Old 06-19-2002, 02:13 PM   #6
Inactive

Debbie46 HB User
Talking

After some thought, I realized I was wrong in my earlier post to you. If you have a cracked tooth, the likelihood it can be saved by a root canal is much less. I can't tell you to pull it, but I wanted to post again with my revised thoughts on this. A root canal MAY save the tooth for a while. It depends on where the crack is. Pulling it isn't so bad. Let us know what you decide to do. My best wishes to you...Debbie

Old 06-19-2002, 11:44 PM   #7

Fortysixus HB User
Wink

Root canals are a money racket, in my experience. I call them "Pre extraction operations."

Old 06-20-2002, 08:48 AM   #8
(female)

Jules211 HB User
I know how you feel about dental expenses. I recently had two root canals- and am getting the first crown at the end of the month. I have no dental insurance, so the entire bill (two root canals and only one of the crowns for now) is $2500. (Plus three wisdom teeth extractions at $680). I have used retirement money to pay for it, and I'm not proud of doing that, but I am glad to still have my teeth. I have no pain now, so I'm very thankful it's nearly over. I am not going to tell you to do the root canals- looking back I think if I hadn't been in so much pain and so scared, I would have had one pulled and the other root canaled to save money. However- you do need to address the problem asap. Make a choice and have it taken care of- because waiting will only cause you more pain and suffering in the end. Good luck.

Closed Thread