Found out today that I have a cracked tooth. The dentist says I need a root canal, and it could still need to be extracted, depending how far the crack is near my jaw. It would cost $695 (which I don't have) for the root canal or $100 to $200 for the extraction. All to be paid up front. Can I wait to do anything, just living with the pain untill I can save up the $695, or should I just have it extracted. It is in the back of my mouth, so it won't be seen. I am really stressing about this. Any help would be great. Thanks.
hi rachbo, if your one of those nervous people like myself id just have it extracted http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif if l knew then wot l know now i would of just got my tooth out its quick and cheaper, if he cant guarantee you wont loose it l wouldnt waste your money. good luck
Hi, Rachbo. My advice to you is to try and save the tooth. I'm not saying a root canal will work: but hopefully it will. After the root canal, you can put a stainless steel crown put on it, since its a back tooth. These types of crowns are normally used on children; since they are thought to be temporary crowns. But I have one in my mouth: it has lasted for over 12 years now. Can you ask your dentist if you could work out a payment plan with him? I hope they will agree to do this; as it really throws off your chewing ability; even with the loss of one tooth. I lost a very back molar years ago...it took me a long time to adjust to it being gone. Whatever you decide to do, good luck...Debbie
It is so strange that you asked that, because I am having the same problem! I am scheduled to have a root canal on Friday. I just had all four wisdom teeth out two weeks ago for over $500 after insurance. (The wisdom teeth grew in crooked and broke one of my back molars, hence the root canal.)
I was in terrible pain for a while, but the pain has gone away in the past two days. It is going to cost me over $1000 for the root canal not including the crown. I have to wait until next year to get that! My insurance only pays $1000 per calendar year.
I have not paid off the $500 yet and I am in TURMOIL over having to borrow an additional $1000 when I don't know if I can pay it off. Does anyone know if a root canal is necessary right away? Before, I was in so much pain I would have sold my first-born, but now I'm petrified at handing over that much money.
I know that I technically should have it taken care of. But is it absolutely necessary?
I had no problems with Root canal in the past. But I been having problems with Root canals. Paid Tons of $ and nothing to show for.
If your Dr is telling you U might end up losing the tooth Just get it pulled. Root canal's not 100%.
Last year I had 1 tooth root canaled crowned and a retreat on the same tooth and Paid reg price . I stil had pain so I had it pulled. and this month, 2 teeth root canaled and got it pulled.
At least your Dr told you the option. none of my Dr's told me I might have to get it pulled. They never gave me an option.
After some thought, I realized I was wrong in my earlier post to you. If you have a cracked tooth, the likelihood it can be saved by a root canal is much less. I can't tell you to pull it, but I wanted to post again with my revised thoughts on this. A root canal MAY save the tooth for a while. It depends on where the crack is. Pulling it isn't so bad. Let us know what you decide to do. My best wishes to you...Debbie
I know how you feel about dental expenses. I recently had two root canals- and am getting the first crown at the end of the month. I have no dental insurance, so the entire bill (two root canals and only one of the crowns for now) is $2500. (Plus three wisdom teeth extractions at $680). I have used retirement money to pay for it, and I'm not proud of doing that, but I am glad to still have my teeth. I have no pain now, so I'm very thankful it's nearly over. I am not going to tell you to do the root canals- looking back I think if I hadn't been in so much pain and so scared, I would have had one pulled and the other root canaled to save money. However- you do need to address the problem asap. Make a choice and have it taken care of- because waiting will only cause you more pain and suffering in the end. Good luck.