It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2002, 06:32 AM   #1

antoni HB User
Post Air Abrasion White Fillings Bad Experience

It's been a year since I had these 9 air abrasion "drillless" white fillings done. After seeing like 6 dentists who tried to correct the problem, my teeth still don't feel right. THe teeth were cut too much on the right side from the leftside creating a lopsided feeling which never will go away completly. My bite still feels s off and my teeth feel smaller as the dentist using air abrasion cut a wide roundish crater on the teeth that he did. A filling is just suppose to be that filling in a crack not shaving down a whole round section of the enamel=dentin and putting a bonding material on. This technology was decided againtst in the 60's but in the 90' s they brought it back?

I just wanted to let people know the bad experience I had and wondered about other people;s experience with air abrasion. It is done on small cavities or on kids that are afraid of the drill. I was told by numerous dentists that the decay it removes is so small why even bother as any type of filling weakens the tooth. My rear molars still feel like a coating of thick cement was placed on the surface not just a crack being filled. I am surprised that the FDA legalized these air abrasion machines.

I just want to let people know this air abrasion "small fillings" isn't what it's cracked up to be and in my experience all the things they claim it does was in reality the exact opposite.

Old 06-19-2002, 09:29 AM   #2

MintyFresh HB User
It is probably less the air abrasion's fault and more your dentist's fault.

Sounds like it was how he/she performed it rather than the technology.

IMHO...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2002, 05:57 PM   #3

zahnschmerzen HB User
Antoni,

I feel for you. I think air abrasion fillings are just another way for dentists to make money off of patients who may not need any dental fillings for a few years (and by then, the patient may have moved). Also, they are a good advertisement (just look at all the ads in the yellow pages in any major city).
I recently moved, and saw a new dentist. He wanted to exchange all! of my 8 fillings. I then went to another dentist, who only recommended 2 fillings for replacement. So I suppose there is a lot of arbitrariness involved in when a filling needs to be exchanged (or placed, in your case), or whether to take a "watch and wait" attitude. Best of luck!

Old 06-20-2002, 11:17 AM   #4

antoni HB User
Zach,

You were smart in getting another dentist's opinion. I don't know what I was thinking by just going along with it, but I was told it was no big deal-right!
Thank you for your reply. I know I feel I was HAD big time. A couple of the teeth may have been sensitive but it wasn't due to the usual thing hot,cold foods, drinks which indicate a cavity was present(it may have been from grinding). With the air abrasion all doctors have to do is see a little "brown" on your tooth. Maybe it's a cavity, maybe not -- it could just be a discolored fissure. That gives them the excuse to do the air abrasion, then they say they don't know how deep they need to go and Ouila before you know it, they have reason to do multiple fillings in a short period of time(they bring in big bucks with multiple fillings done in one sitting-they get you while you are hot). With the air abrasion, they do the procedure on each tooth for like 10 minutes so you don't really feel you are getting the equivalent of a drill filling, but in effect that's what it is. Also I've checked out other peoples fillings and they look smaller that mine in terms of the surface area covered.

So my biggest complaint now is having 9 teeth that feel like they have huge slabs of cement on them. Fillings aren't suppose to feel this way I am told. But I'm at the point where I can't stomach getting checked and treated over and over again. Like they say you get use to it or learn to live with it.

I feel bad because they are targeting kids for this procedure. I mean if the early cavity can be treated with fluoride why even bother doing it. I just hope soon it the whole procedure will be banned and it will be recognized for the scam that it is.

I have yet to here a happy air abrasion story so I am still waiting.

A

Closed Thread