It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2002, 06:22 PM   #1

Sunflowers HB User
Exclamation I was fired by my dentist!!

Hi to everyone,

I need some feedback on a certified letter and the situation that accompany's it.
I recieved a certified letter from my dentist of 1 and 1/2 yr's yesterday. The letter is as follow's:

In order to provide the highest quality of care to my patient's I need to establish a good Doctor/patient relationship. This cooperative relationship results in a patient following treatment recommendations.

In your case I am not able to establish this relationship, therfore, in your best dental health interest I'm recommending you seek treatment from another dentist. If you need the name of a dentist that is accepting new patients, you can contact Mass. Dental Society at 1-800-342-8747.

We will forward your X-ray's once you've established who you will be going to.

....okay...so I'm reading this and I'm totally walled. I'd seen this dentist on 5/17/02 for a 2nd occurence of severe gum bleeding. When I went in there, she seemed annoyed that I was questioning her and stating that gum bleeding isn't normal. She checked my tooth pocket's again, quite hard handed...now that I think about it, and then said : well, " maybe a tooth guard at night would help" and we'll refer you to a periodontist so that you can feel better about your gum's bleeding". No affirmative " you need a tooth guard" so when I was put into another room to take a moulding of my teeth for the guard, I asked "how much is this and will Delta Dental cover this"? I was told "no" and it's 160.00. Forget it I said, I can't AFFORD that right now. This is the only thing I can think of as NOT following treatment recommendation's. I found this dentist after having had my son's prior dentist rip his tongue apart during a dental cleaning. She was aware of this when I 1st saw her.
I saw the periodontist last thursday and he need's me to come back on 6/12/02 for a follow up appt. Here's what I'm thinking of doing....

#1: get the diagnoses from periodontist.

#2: write a reply letter stating the diagnosis and the shock I felt at her breach of ethical conduct in my case.

#3: file a complaint with my dental insurance, the Massachusett's dental board, and the better business bureau.

My dilemma...my son like's her and her hygenist. my son has a gagging reflex and doesn't let dentist's go near him easily. Should I take him out of her practice. He know's the situation and still like's her. My son is 14 yr's old.

let me know what you guy's think...??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2002, 11:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

It's hard for us to say. But, if anyone did that to me, I just would leave. And I probably wouldn't take it further than that.

I possibly can understand how upset you might be with it. When I was younger, I would have been just like you. I'd been so mad that I couldn't see straight.

The reason that I say that is best to ignore them and go some where else, is that I've been around long enough to have seen so many rude people, that I won't let them ruin my day anymore. Just go on with your life, and try to do the opposite with people you know - be forgiving, nice and helpful as possible. It's a good antidote to other people's meanness.

It doesn't sound like you were treated very well. If you are concerned about your son, think about how you were treated and how he *might* be treated in the future. I think it all has to be with how we respect each other feelings.

Some people are technically smart, but really lack in people skills and sensitivity. You could complain further as you suggest, as we don't know all the details. It's really up to you. Sorry to hear that you were treated that way.

Old 06-05-2002, 05:09 PM   #3

Nicci HB User
I am sorry the dentist was so rude and treated you that way. However, I likely would not make a huge deal out of it. I would find another dentist then write her a polite but to the point letter stating thoughts on how I was treated, and leave it at that.
If your son is going to continue to go there you might to refrain from sending a letter as she may drop him as a patient also if you do.

Old 06-06-2002, 08:16 AM   #4

JudyB1963 HB User
What did the dentist do that was unethical? YOU REFUSED TO FOLLOW THE COURSE OF TREATMENT AND WALKED OUT. In my opinion the dentist has every right to refuse to treat you. You act like the dentist has an obligation to treat you. He doesnt, just like anybody else in business can choose not do business with you.
You are probably wasting your time if you pursue this. You will probably be told that a dentist has the right to terminate business with an uncooperative patient.

Old 06-06-2002, 09:06 AM   #5
(female)

bunny byron HB User
It seems a bit harsh to say that Sunflowers "Refused a course of treatment and walked out." Her dentist told her that "maybe" a tooth guard would help. And since sunflowers doesn't have $160 to spend on a "maybe" RIGHT NOW she simply could not follow that particular suggestion at this time. She did follow up with the periodontist, yes? And she made no mention of walking out in a huff, unless I missed something.
It is true that dentists and doctors generally do not like to be second-guessed. But it is equally true that many of them do not always understand that there are simply budget constraints. Sometimes we as patients sacrifice taking every recommended course of treatment or in this case a suggestion that may or may not help, in order to pay another bill or expense elsewhere. My husband's former cosmetic dentist insisted that he absolutely HAD to have a night guard in order to preserve his teeth before it is too late. My husband said he just couldn't afford it right now. (Our children needed shoes and books for school). That dentist went off on an arrogant rage about it. When my husband saw his regular dentist on a routine visit and asked him about the necessity for a night guard the dentist told my husband that if he really wanted one, he would make one for him, but that it wasn't necessary in the least.
Sunflowers, IMHO I think you should follow one of the suggestions above (forgot who) and find a new dentist for yourself and your child, but make no further issue of it. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-06-2002, 09:11 AM   #6
(female)

bunny byron HB User
Wink

Just reread your letter and see that your son is 14.
I'd let him continue to go, since you don't have to be there at his side at every moment. And if he is comfortable with his dad or a grandparent taking him there instead of you, all the better .

Old 06-06-2002, 01:22 PM   #7

antoni HB User
I just want to share my experience over the last year with the 5 dentists I saw trying to correct the bad bite that was caused from the white fillings I had put in wrong by a quack dentist.

All 5 dentists(which I got out of the yellow pages) were extremely rude and once they got the money provided for the initial treatment offered no follow up treatment once I complained that the problem was still not corrected. They ignored what I said and treated me like a bug once they got my money. One even said I needed add'tl cosmetic work for a weak bridge which would have cost me $10,000. Another one fitted me for a nightguard which was useless as the fillings put in wrong caused the problem not how I was biting and grinding.

Finally, out of desperation I took the advice of a friend who insisted I go to her dentist and finally after a year, I got the proper treatment. One filling shaved and refilled and it took a couple visits. Not only did he do a great job but he also charged me a reasonable price.

I don't know, if a dentist discontinued me like that just cause I couldn't pay, it could be a sign of trouble ahead if you still need to deal with her.

It's good to get a referral from a trusted friend that has actually been worked on by a prospective dentist that way you can avoid bad experiences like mine. As for the dentists, alot of them just hate their jobs and/or the patients and are just in it for the money rather than to help people.

Old 06-06-2002, 05:28 PM   #8

Nicci HB User
If you read her post carefully you will see she did not leave in a huff nor refuse treatment. Just as the dentist has the option to quit doing business with her, she has the right to ask for a more affordable option. And she did follow up with the periodontist. But while the dentist's reasons for dropping her seem to be a bit unfounded, it is the dentist's right to treat whoever she pleases.
Sunflower, just find a dentist you like and move on.

[This message has been edited by Nicci (edited 06-07-2002).]

Old 06-07-2002, 09:27 AM   #9

JudyB1963 HB User
I still say that she was uncooperative with the dentist. The dentist is under no obligation to treat her.

Old 06-08-2002, 05:50 AM   #10

Sunflowers HB User
Thank's to everyone who replied. ...
Judy, I don't agree with your reply. You seem a little upset at the fact that I mentioned "unethical"? I actually work in health care and what I mean by this is that we in the medical profession, wether this be dental or hospital, have to abide by a code of ethic's as long as the world is wide. I have the right to interact with my dentist and ask her ?'s pertaining to my problem that I FEEL that I was having. I didn't go in there with an attitude AT ALL. I didn't walk out in a huff...I was taken aback at her abrubtness with me. Some dentisit's think they're GOD in my opinion and while I feel she was competent in her profession, I felt strongly about my gum's bleeding. Medical professional's don't usually "drop" patient's unless they are really not following treatment and/or are non compliant in other area's of their care. To be honnest, I think that she's going thru menopause and just didn't like my questioning....who's to say? The patient put's her TRUST in the dentist and when that dentist take's that TRUST away, it leave's a bad taste in the consumer's mouth when trying to find another dentist.
So, with saying that, I do not agree with what you're saying Judy. I wasn't your typical trouble making patient.
I wonder ... are u a dentist Judy?

Old 06-08-2002, 05:54 AM   #11

Sunflowers HB User
forgot to mention..........when I was shuffled to another room to get a moulding of my teeth....the dentist never asked me if this was okay with me, me the consumer. The dentist was aware that I was having brace's put on sometime in the near future....so I ask Ms. judy... how would I use a mouth guard OVER brace's? Also, the reason I went in there was for GUM BLEEDING.... the mouth guard was for s secondary problem with TMJ, of which I wasn't there for.

Old 06-08-2002, 09:56 PM   #12

KC Lee HB User
This person sounds extremely insensitive and a little money hungry. To me, it's important that you can communicate and feel like you are understood by your doctors. I once had a dermatologist that I saw for a long time come in and give me a hug after he had not seen me in a year. He said he had been worried about me! I look for a doctor that is willing to listen to what you are saying and really truly cares about you. This dentist sounds like a straight up &*@%$!!! That's great that your son likes her but, what about the future? What is going to happen when he gets older and has her pull this &%$# on him???

[Please try to avoid words or combination of letters that may be suggestive of profanity or swearing. Thanks for your cooperation. Well-come Moderator]

[This message has been edited by Well-come (edited 06-10-2002).]

Old 06-09-2002, 08:42 AM   #13

Sunflowers HB User
Thank you KC for your reply. I'm still in the process of thinking thru the situation in regard's to my son still seeing her. I have thought about the fact that she will ahve to interact with me in regard's to my son if something should arise with his teeth. It's just hard because my son like's her and her hygentist. I'm still undecided.

sunflowers

Old 06-09-2002, 11:03 AM   #14

KC Lee HB User
I just think it is very sad when doctors can't be sensitive about the "money thing". I recently started having TMJ problems and it's not like I have a savings account going for my "TMJ fund". The least she could have done was offered you some sort of payment plan. That's just rude. I'm sure you will find someone that is sensitive and caring that your son will like just as much. Good Luck!

Old 06-21-2002, 01:15 AM   #15

rowdy-rowsey HB User
Thumbs up

Sunflower, I can certainly understand your disgust! I think it was very rude of her to stop treating you because you're ""uncooperative."" That is just crazy! Perhaps you should ask her what it is that made you so "uncooperative." Maybe you should have a talk with her and ask her why she sent you this letter. If you feel she is not being straightforward and honest, then why deal with her at all? After all, isn't this what we go to doctor's and dentists for?

I understand that your son really likes her services, but if he is 14, then he can move on and learn to like another dentist. He will eventually adjust.

I know what it's like to have a doctor not really even listen to what your need is and then to prescribe something that's not even going to help! Lord knows they can sometimes do more harm than they can do; If they would only listen and care a little bit more...

Good luck with your situation!

Closed Thread