It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2002, 08:07 PM   #1

poodles HB User
Red face new dentures

I am a new denture wearer and would love to compare notes. Also had all of the wisdom teeth out a few weeks ago. ow ow !!

Old 06-22-2002, 12:45 AM   #2

hamilton67 HB User
Hey Poodles - new denture wearer here too and would also like to compare notes. Just had all my teeth pulled Thursday and imediates put in. Procedure went well but the healing part is rough. When did you have yours done? How long till you could eat? Can bearly swallow cream soups and I am starving!! Stupid me thought Aleve would help with swelling and discovered the hard way that it doesn't and now I look like a freak lol. Let me know how everything is going for you so far.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2002, 04:55 AM   #3
Inactive

K8ws HB User
Dear Poodles,
This is my 3rd attempt at answering you.
I suggest you perservere as much as you can & be determined not to let the Dentures beat you. Always remember you have to learn to live with them NOT learn to live without them.
I speak from experience,
Best of Luck,
K8

Old 06-23-2002, 09:05 AM   #4

poodles HB User
Hamilton, I just had mine put in 11 days ago. They are having to get adjusted over and over, slow but sure. Like you, I am having trouble eating. I am still on yogurt, and cream of chicken soup for variety ! I still have some major healing from all of the extractions. It is still quite sore. How are YOU doing?
Kate, thanks for the invite but you already know me from the denture chat, this is your buddy J. that has done all the griping for the last week ! Glad to see you made it here.
I feel sorry for the young folks that have to get used to dentures. Being a middle aged female is hard enough without having the social and peer pressure over it. For you younger people going thru this, I salute you and good luck !

Old 06-23-2002, 11:33 PM   #5

hamilton67 HB User
Cool

Poodles, please dont tell me that after 11 days you still cant eat! What about the pain? When does that abate? The time in between meds is getting shorter and shorter (getting scared Im going to run out). Told you I was a big wennie lol. Getting my stitches out tomorrow so am hoping that will help. How is your speech? Work in the public and dont really want to go back to work until people can understand me, at least the swelling has gone down so I dont look so freakish anymore. My kids are teasing me talking about pizza....help. Please keep me updated - this board is helping me through this. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2002, 07:56 PM   #6

Rainfeather HB User
Talking

Please be patient...I had mine done on May 3rd. Things were real hard but I used alot of ice to help with the swelling and pain (Not to mention the pain meds).

I may have been one of the lucky ones who was able to eat pretty much right away. I did about 2 days of soft foods, by then I thought I was going to die of starvation so I tried a slice of pizza, OUCH!!!, but I didn't give in to it and tried and tried again untill I was able to eat without much pain. By the time I had the stitches out I was determained to eat a steak and did, slowly, but I ate it.

It helps to cut it up into very small pieces and place alittle on each side of your mouth and chew it that way. I think that was the hardest part, was learning how to chew.

I now eat anything I want. It does get better, it just takes time.

Good Luck

Rainfeather

Old 05-03-2004, 05:54 PM   #7

faith771022 HB User
Re: new dentures

i need advice about my new dentures.. expected to look alot better than what i do...

[Please do not use email address. This is prohibited per Healthboards guidelines. Re-read the guidelines by pushing FAQ above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator]

Last edited by Well-come; 05-03-2004 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Removed email address.

Old 05-04-2004, 02:40 PM   #8

dely1112 HB User

I had complete dentures, 5 weeks today. My immediates were so large, I had trouble eating - they made adjustments last week, and improved matters greatly. I don't know if I was common are not, but at first I would get so frustrated that I drank my Ensure drinks and wouldn't try. That's probably the worst thing, because it takes practice to learn. Try eating mashed potatoes, and something like meatloaf, or really tender meat. If you have lowers, if you mix the mashed potatoes with the meat so to get it about equal portions on both sides of your mouth, it works better. Also, I practiced eating in front of a mirror. I didn't like that either, but I felt so ackward and all because you have to "relearn" chewing. It takes different muscles that you never thought about "before". I think it was about the two week/three week mark. Isn't that funny - I'm only at 5 weeks today, but I'm loosing track already. I think (for me) when I was at the starving stage, that I was better than I thought at getting the food down. Some people are much quicker, but I think they are the exception. Good Luck!!

Old 05-04-2004, 02:49 PM   #9

DandyDebbie36 HB User

I too have new dentures and I haven't been able to eat with them at all. I had my surgery three weeks ago today. Because of bone fragment trouble I can't even wear mine longer than a hour at a time. I've been pretty lucky as far as the general pain, but because of sore spots and the bone fragment trouble most of the pain I am in is when my dentures are in. I'm going to see the oral surgeon tomorrow and give him a choice. He either gets the bone fragment out or I will go to someone that will. Hope everything goes well with eveyone!!
Debbie

Old 05-04-2004, 05:27 PM   #10

Sae HB User

Although I don't have dentures, I expect to have 2 partials in a few weeks. I have no teeth to chew food and like you I felt starvation was upon me. So I bought a chopper/blender and now am able to make "baby food" out of almost everything.
I know it must be awfully painful for you. I too had some bone fragments which had to be removed and boy, did they hurt, but now feel no pain. Best wishes to you and I hope you soon will feel much better.
Sae

Old 05-05-2004, 09:44 AM   #11
(female)

muppet HB User

Hi poodles, this is muppet. At least that's what I think I look like since I had all of my teeth pulled.Today is my 25th wedding Anniversary and exactly one month to the day that I had all of my teeth pulled.Things will get better for you.I can surely sympathize with you.My problem is that my top plate shows too much when I smile.When I smile a really big smile the top of the plate shows. Looks like I'm wearing those wax teeth that I used to wear as a kid.I was told it's because my gums haven't quit shrinking yet. I sure hope that when I go back in another month from now there not still the same way.Rinsing with warm salt water seemed to be the best remedy for the sore spots that I had.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:47 PM   #12
(female)

muppet HB User

I had all of my teeth pulled with immediate dentures exactly one month ago today. It took me about three weeks of eating nothing but soft stuff like mashed potatoes, pudding etc.My blender became my best friend. I blended up anything and everything I could think of to eat.I blended up meats and made them somewhat watered down.After you get the stitches out it makes a BIG difference.I got my soft liner last week, That also helped tremendously. Good luck!

Closed Thread