It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2002, 06:31 AM   #1

sdmay3 HB User
Question Help: Rubberbands around braces are yellow

I have had my braces on for about 4 weeks. I have the clear brackets and the clear rubberbands. Already the rubberbands are yellow. (COFFEE STAINS, I believe) Does anyone know if anything I can use to brush my teeth to remove these stains or prevent them in the first place? I have been using Rembrandt Extra Whitening toothpaste which is ADA approved and I have also tried baking soda. I am also using a water pik several times a day.
Thanks for any advice.

Old 06-26-2002, 08:45 AM   #2

pufnstuf2 HB User
Cool

Iíve been wearing the clear brackets for a year and a half now and the same thing was happening to me. After about three weeks I noticed they would start to turn that yellowish color probably because of coffee or and some of the foods I was eating. I told one of the assistants about it and she said that I could come in just to change the ties. You donít actually need to see the orthodontist for that. You may want to suggest that on your next appt.

Another option, and this is what Iíve been doing. I would choose silver ties vs. clear since it blended in with the metal arch wire. I tried different toothpasteís and baking soda, etc and I didn't have much luck with that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2002, 12:34 PM   #3

richdizz HB User
I too have clear brackets and have noticed the bands turning yellow in time. I think the climate (for lack of a better word) changes in your mouth (from hot and cold foods/drinks) might cause this. I don't consume any food/drink that is thought to be staining and it has happened to me.

Old 06-29-2002, 08:33 AM   #4

jjayt HB User
The clear elastics are the worse for changing colors, folowed by the white and the tooth colored. The silver keeps it color the best. I would not recommend using any whitening agents because the center of your tooth is covered with the bracket. If you whiten the tooth around the bracket, when the braces come off you could have a darker spot on the center of your tooth. My advice is to avoid foods and liquids that discolor the elastics. Coffe, tea, chili, spagette, mustard, and so on.

Closed Thread