It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2002, 10:10 AM   #1

LittleFlower18 HB User
Angry I HATE MY TEETH!!!

I've always taken really good care of my teeth. I brush 3 times a day and floss twice. They're pretty, straight and almost white, but only the front ones. My back teeth are in awful shape. They're broken and chipped, capped and I've had more root canals than I can remember. I can't understand why they are like this after I've taken so much care of them. I just want them out. They are a pain in the neck, literally and I'm just tired of it. I'm only 18 so I don't think that I'll be able to get dentures. Will I? Has anyone else got their teeth out this young. I know that lalala did, but she had a condition. Lalala are you here? How did you go about getting that took care of? How much pain was it getting all of your teeth out? Did you get all of them removed at once? Okay, enough with the questions. Okay just one more. Can yall tell me what you know about getting all of my teeth out and finally getting dentures. I assure you that they are in bad enough shape to be approved if I could just find an affordable dentist.

I appreciate all of the replies, if I get any.

Cheyenne

------------------
If you judge someone, you have no time to love them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2002, 01:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

I know very little about this, but I thought that I would bring it up for discussion. Sorry to hear about your bad teeth.

There sometimes seems to be some people that have a tougher time with their teeth than others. I was wondering what preventative means one can take in addition to brushing, flossing, and seeing the dentist. I mean, the teeth are bone. Could somehow the things that we eat, make things worse or better for our teeth? Could our general health like being under excessive stress or being anorexic affect our teeth, as well?

We often talk about preventative care for our general health by eating healthy and exercising etc. Do people that eat well and have good general health overall, also have a greater chance of having good teeth? I don't know the answer about that, but I was just curious. I suspect the answer is yes, at least in part, but I just haven't seen any studies that would substantiate it. Maybe someone out there has the answer.

It's sad to hear about people that have so much trouble with their teeth, at such a young age, when they are trying so hard to do the right things. Could there be other things that we could be doing further along those lines?

Obviously, some things like preventative care may not apply completely to people that have genetic abnormalities. Any comments from anyone? Maybe we could help some other people look at other possibilities that could make a difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2002, 01:45 PM   #3
(female)

bunny byron HB User
I'm so sorry that your teeth have caused you so much trouble that you would rather have them taken out. Both my husband and I have "soft" teeth and are prone to cavities and an assortment of other tooth maladies, so I can empathize. Our dentist told me that your teeth can be determined by your mother. That is, a nursing mother is the one who passes a bacteria on to her baby which will cause her child to have soft teeth. If she carries the bacteria, and nurses, her baby will get it. Not everyone carries the bacteria, however. Apparantly my mother did!
The only thing that has helped me to have better dental visits, meaning no cavities, is to have my dentist clean them 3 times / year, floss every day and eat very little sugar.
Hopefully you can get a couple of opinions from dentists and definitely from any readers here re. their partial dentures vs. caring for their natural teeth? Dentures take care too, so I wonder which would be better in your case? If you have all your teeth pulled you will be sore for several days at least, no question. I've forgotten how long the waiting time is between getting your teeth out and making the mold for the new teeth. There must be time for your gums to 'settle down'.
I wish you well. Just don't do anything drastic and permanent until you've researched all you need to know to make this important decision!

Old 06-04-2002, 01:59 PM   #4

lalala HB User
Hey littleflower18! Sorry to hear about your problems....teeth pains and problems are the WORST! So how extensive is the problem, i mean are you having problems eating and chewing? Are they painful? If your problems really are extensive, it is POSSIBLE to get dentures, but i would only suggest that if you find this a really big problem! I have dentures now and im 15 but its not too normal to have dentures this early. To get dentures, you would have to talk to a dentist that could make the dentures, and also get a dentist who would extract the teeth. Its a really long process to go through to find dentists that will help you. At least for me, it seemed most dentists didnt want to take on any young people. But finally that its done, im glad! Getting all my teeth out was pretty painful, and still is though its been a week, but if you were to get dentures sometime, i think the pain is well worth the results. Yes, i did get them all removed at once, except for two molars on the bottom.

The thing about the dentures is, they want to preserve as many teeth as they can. If you have a lot of teeth that are in good shape, or even pretty good shape, but the back ones are troubling you, maybe a partial denture is possible, or something else.

If you really think that dentures would imporve yourelf, you should ask an oral surgeon what they think. I know that dentures cost about.....700 to 2000 dolars or so each. Mine were 1500 each.

It stinks that you have all those problems after trying so hard to get them better. I always felt it was unfair because my teeth just kept falling out, and everyone else in my family had nice teeth!

rhody- i think that dentisty and forms of preservation somewhat affect whether or not we have good teeth. But i think that genetics really says it. I think that dental care and staying healthy in general only keeps them at fullest potential, but no matter how much you brush, you can;t make them BETTER.

Its too bad that your teeth are causing you sadness, littleflower18. I think that at a young age like yours and mine, dentures shouldnt be used until it is necessary. If you think you are at the point where they are necessary, you should make consultations. Having dentures has been soo great so far!! I have a lot of confidence, and i am just so happy that my teeth problems are lesser! If you have any more questions about dentures, ask away. I think i covered the ones in your post....i think. Ok well good luck!

Old 06-05-2002, 09:18 AM   #5

LittleFlower18 HB User
Thanks for the replies. Lalala I'm so glad that you got your teeth fixed. I read your past posts and it must be a great confidence boost to have great teeth. I'm sorry you had to go through that at such a young age, but I'm so happy for you, too. My teeth hurt all the time. I can't eat sweets, especially chocolate. I can't eat ice cream, drink cold drinks or eat hard foods. I also have TMJ and I can't eat chewy foods. A dentist that I was seeing told me that if my teeth were smaller that it would take a lot of pain off of my jaws. The TMJ and tooth aches are unbearable at times. Will they make dentures smaller than your real teeth? I think my teeth are in the condition to be removed. All of them except my front four have fillings, caps or root canals done to them. They are broken, chipped and very sensitive. They're not worth the pain. I would rather have no teeth at all. Also, how long did it take you before you were able to finally wear your dentures? Did they hurt or make your mouth feel crowded? All your replies are greatly appreciated. And again, congratulations on your success.

Cheyenne

------------------

Old 06-05-2002, 01:49 PM   #6

lalala HB User
Hey again Littleflower18! Sorry to hear about the pain you are having!

I will try to answer your questions. OK, about the size of the dentures, I think that usually they try to make teeth that would fit your mouth best. I am not too sure on what size they would make them, i think they usually try to go with what your natural teeth would look like. Though for me, they made mine quite a bit bigger, becuase mine were teeny before.

When i got my teeth taken out of my mouth, they gave me an immediate denture. Meaning i didnt have an adjustment period or whatever. They made the dentures ahead of time, did molds of my mouth and impressions, and figured out my bite, all before hand. So when i left the office, i allready had the dentures! That was cool, except its totally weird and messy (like the gums are still bleeding all day) for that time. The pain is not so bad.. the only thing is when the gums start to swell, the dentures are tight, which is kinda annoying. But i am healing and im getting really excited here! About crowdedness in the mouth...its hard for me to say because i recently had a retainer so im used to having somethign at the roof of my mouth. I guess it feels a little cramped... but then again, my mouth used to be like an open air stadium with all the gaps and baby teeth! hehe.

Have u talked to any dentists about getting dentures? If you decide that you realllly want to do it, i wish you all the best!

Old 06-06-2002, 09:50 AM   #7

JudyB1963 HB User
PLEASE dont get good teeth pulled because you think it is the easy way out. As others have pointed out, dentures also require care.It sounds like you think getting your teeth pulled is a "quick fix." You said that your front teeth are good, why would you want them pulled? When you get your teeth pulled it is a permanent solution. In lala's case she might have had reason to have all of her teeth pulled. If your front teeth are good you should NOT have them pulled and an ethical dentist should not pull good teeth just because you want dentures. You need to talk to many people who have dentures for many years. Not just over the internet, but in person. Ask them the problems they have had with dentures over the years. Lala is fairly new to dentures so she has not had the experience of having them for 10 or 20 years yet. Please think this through before you do it.

Old 06-21-2002, 02:28 AM   #8

rowdy-rowsey HB User
Smile

I agree with Judy. You need to try to keep all of your good teeth that you can. They make partials and that would fix the bad teeth but means you wouldn't have to get rid of the good one's. Mouth work is very rough no matter what you have done. If you do decide to go the dentures route... take a lot of time, think it through and investigate your options and find a good dentist that has good references. Hope all works out for you!

Old 06-21-2002, 12:05 PM   #9

LittleFlower18 HB User
Sorry I haven't replied in a while. I'm not doing this as a "quick fix". I have looked into all of my options and I think this is the best route to go. I have no good teeth. All of them are cavities and they're broken, capped or have root canals. I understand all of the options and I don't want partials. I want them all out. My front teeth only look decent. They're not. My teeth hurt me constantly and they are too big for my mouth which causes pain on my jaws. I've mentioned that I have TMJ and if you have it then you understand what I'm saying. I just want the pain to stop and I want to be able to eat hard, chewy, cold and hot things. I have discussed this with my parents and they think it's the best thing to do also.

Cheyenne

------------------

Old 06-29-2002, 08:25 PM   #10

jjayt HB User
First remember that the longer you are without teeth the more the bone shrinks in the mouth. That is why you see older people using adhesives to hold their dentures in, they have almost no bony ridge left. If you were to have all your teeth extracted, by the time you were middle aged, you would have a hard time keeping the lower teeth in. I would sugest keeping any teeth you can to help anchor in the plates. My husband wanted to extact all his teeth, and the dentist and myself talked him into crowning the lower front 6 and having two rootcanals. He is much happier with the results and can eat any food.

Closed Thread