It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2002, 03:29 PM   #1

shellebelle HB User
Post White junk on teeth

I got my braces off last Wednesday, and I immediately noticed white stains/spots along the gumline of my molars. I had those orthodontic bands back there, so there was very little tooth exposed to air for four years (had braces a long time). The bands were also right up against my gums. Anyway, I'm thinking the white spots are tartar that's built up over the years that I haven't been able to get when brushing. I also tried scratching some off with a dental pick, with no luck. Anybody have any idea what this is, and how hard it will be to remove? I'm already planning on getting my teeth cleaned soon.

Thanks,

Michelle

Old 06-05-2002, 03:32 PM   #2

deja vu HB User
Michelle, I'm not a dentist, but if I were you I wouldn't worry. I'm sure it must be normal. When you have your teeth cleaned, that may take care of it. And at the same time ask the dentist about it. At least it isn't black in color. That could look scary. ;> ) Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2002, 07:15 AM   #3

richdizz HB User
Could it be left over glue from the backets? My orthodontist was a little messy putting on one bracket and I have a clear/white glue spot on one tooth. Did you ask the orthodontist what it was when he removed them? If it was glue they should be able buff it down.

Old 06-07-2002, 03:16 PM   #4

shellebelle HB User
I got the rest of the braces off yesterday and the ortho said it was calcified something or other. I'll have to dentist clean it up.

Thanks for the help!

Michelle

Old 06-29-2002, 07:37 PM   #5

jjayt HB User
If the white stain are right at the gumline and in the area of the top of the band, it could be a decalsified area. This is an area of the tooth that had plaque and has had the calcuim leached from the area, a weaker area of the tooth. I had several on my molars when I was debanded 25 years ago. SInce then I have had only one turn into a cavity. I use floride every night before turning in. This I hope will keep the areas from developing into cavities.

Closed Thread