It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

annafcolbrie HB User
antibiotics before a root canal

I was put on antibiotics last tuesday in preparation for a root canal tomorrow of a dead tooth. My tooth is also abcessed which is the reason for antibiotics. I was on amoxicillin but that did not work and this morning I started Clindamycin, 2x150mg 3 times daily for 10 days. My dentist still wants me to come in tomorrow morning but I don't understand why. Could he go ahead with the root canal even if the infection has not cleared? Maybe he just wants to see what it looks like.
Today my gum is still swollen and tender and even if that goes away in the next 18 hours I'm not comfortable having the root canal done so soon. Shouldn't I complete the 10 days of antibiotics before having it done?

Anna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
(male)

john29 HB User
Re: antibiotics before a root canal

The sooner you go in for the treatment, the better you will heal. The antibiotics will help your body heal, but ultimately you need to have the tooth extracted or a root canal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
(female)

annafcolbrie HB User

I'm still wondering wether it's ok to have a root canal performed on a tooth with an active infection, swollen and tender gums...I have a cyst like swelling above the tooth. I've only been taking the second antibiotic since this morning and can't tell if this one is working yet, it'll be 24 hours by the time of my appt. Wouldn't it be dangerous to perform the root canal with the ongoing infection???

Anna

Old 11-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #4
(male)

john29 HB User

No, there is no danger in doing the root canal whlie there is an active infection, it will only help speed your healing.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
(female)

annafcolbrie HB User

Thanks John!

Old 11-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

I had a root canal on a severely abcessed tooth. I did not know it could be done with the infection still there. My root canal procedure went perfectly, and from the time I walked out of the dentist's office, I've never had a bit of trouble again.

Old 11-02-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
(female)

annafcolbrie HB User

Thanks everyone! The root canal is done! I went in late morning and it was done in about an hour, no problems. The novocain did not wear off for a real long time but I'm finally back to normal. I'm glad it's done!

Anna

Closed Thread