It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2002, 08:39 AM   #1

simmie HB User
Unhappy Help! Panic attack about crumbling teeth...

Hi Everyone,

I'm 32 and have tremendous problems with my teeth. It doesn't help that my hubbie has four fillings (two of which are 20 years old), his wisdom teeth, and barely touches his toothbrush, let alone floss or mouth rinse. I feel like such a failure!!!!

When I was in college, I had half of an upper first molar crack off. It was crowned, luckily no need for RCT. Subsequently, I had all of my remaining molars filled with large amalgam fillings. Had my wisdom teeth removed. Around this time, had MAJOR, MAJOR pain in one of the molars (opposite the crown). Thought it was from the wisdom teeth, as it calmed down eventually. You all can guess what was REALLY going on, right??? The tooth abscessed/died and I didn't know about it for a few more years. Had to have that tooth RCT and then capped, very little tooth left there to do. Now, have to have one of the bottom first molars capped, although no RCT--yet. I'm *very* worried about the remaining first molar, which still has a large filling in it and has become a bit sensitive on and off. It might also be cracked. Anybody out there had all of their molars capped and had any sort of longevity from them??

I'm in a major panic that I will lose these teeth by the time I'm 40-ish; I'm sure I will lose the crowns by then at the very least. HELP. How do I preserve my poor teeth, they are cracking right and left??? To further complicate things, we're thinking about children soon--and I'm concerned about peridontal disease affecting my teeth terribly. I do the co-q-10 thing, and take cal/mag. But I'd appreciate any other advice on supplements to bone up my gum and tooth health!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2002, 03:22 PM   #2

zahnschmerzen HB User
Hi Simmie,

First off, I am (about to be) 28 and feel the same way as you about my teeth. My husband also has only a couple of fillings, and spends half as much time cleaning his teeth.
I am just going through my first (problematic) RCT on a first molar. Another first molar will need one soon. I will probably choose gold onlays instead of crowns (especially porcelain over metal): They take away less tooth structure, prevent the tooth from cracking, since all cusps are covered, and should last longer than porcelain-over-metal crowns, where the porcelain can crack off. Also, if the onlays ever need to be redone, more tooth is left to be prepared for new coverage. Of course, gold is less beautiful, but since you are married My husband won't mind if a little gold shines through.
If it's any comfort, my teeth are not much better than yours, and I still am a few years younger. Most of my molars have amalgam fillings (that need to be replaced soon; can't wait for more RCT).

Old 07-03-2002, 04:16 PM   #3
Inactive

Aster HB User
I'm 58 and have EIGHT porcelain crowns top and bottom far back. One is 2 yrs old; the others vary between
24 years old and 16 years!
None have had RCT. The ONLY thing that makes them ache at all is harsh brushing. If I brush gently, over the crowns, it's like I have my natural teeth. I guess I'm a rarity. Aster

Old 07-03-2002, 04:57 PM   #4

simmie HB User
Thanks for your replies! I *really* need more "successful/multiple crown" stories to bolster my spirits. The tooth that started this whole mess, my upper left first molar (cracked in half) had to have a second crown placed after about 12 years. The metal underlay had buckled--the dentist said he'd never seen such a thing. Of course, there was decay underneath (I'm told this is also fairly common and difficult to detect because they can't see under the crown)...the tooth needed more filling in order to be able to be crowned. So, my experience so far hasn't been great with crowns, not terrible, but not great either. It would be superb if these crowns lasted 20 years, I'd be so thrilled (providing, of course, the teeth were okay underneath). Dentist didn't really give me a choice for the type of crown, he chose a Procera (sp?) one over a PFM one. My main concern now is how they are removed when they need to be (if bonded-- I think this one uses "regular" cement)--and being able to monitor the teeth underneath. I'd obviously prefer to avoid RCT if at all possible.

Old 07-03-2002, 05:08 PM   #5

simmie HB User
Zahn,

I'm sorry to hear about your RCT not going well. It's so nerve-wracking to begin with and then for it to be problematic, especially on a molar with multiple canals. :-( I agree with you that onlays are preferable to crowns; in this case, the tooth had cracked so much that it needed to be splinted almost at the gum line. My dentist had intended to do an onlay (he didn't tell me) until he started working on the tooth--actually talked to himself under his breath about a crown versus an onlay. He was really nice and explained what he was muttering about when I asked. Actually, I'm not sure the crack is entirely gone--trying to figure out if the crown above is hitting the temp oddly or if the tooth hurts still. Thanks again for your reply and story--it really helps. It's difficult being surrounded by the "effortlessly beautiful teeth people." ;-)

Closed Thread