It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2002, 11:13 AM   #1

whiptofized1 HB User
Post Root canal with no insurance

Hey everyone, maybe someone can give me some advice. I just got 3 teeth filled in the past couple of months which was fine because i had great insurance which covered everything. Well i got a job finally (just graduated from college) but i have crappy insurance and i have to wait 3 months before any minor dental problem is covered 80% and then a whole year before any major services like root canals are covered. One of my teeth which he had told me when filling it, might need a root canal, is very sensitive to heat/cold. A tooth on the other side of my mouth hurts to chew with (it was filled) and he already adjusted it, but that didn't help. THat tooth is NOT sensitive to heat and cold and he said it might be a problem with my bite or i could have torn a ligament. Either way, it has been over a month and it's not getting any better. So now i have a tooth on each side i am worried about and eating/drinking is a pain in the butt now. So basically I am assuming I need a root canal with that one tooth, which i couldnt have insurance cover 50% of until next june, and who knows about the other tooth. I dont want to go in til sept 1 because then things will be 80% covered if it's minor. Can anyone give me advice??? I know a root canal is going to cost probably almost a thousand, not including the cap. What would you do?? I dont have any money really, do I wait or just give in and go broke?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2002, 02:43 PM   #2

Deb47 HB User
Talking

Hi, Whip. I sure feel for you! I've been so worried lately; for I have to wait till July 25th, to get a root canal done. I have to wait, for I'm having a bridge made on the other side of my mouth (upper right); that will go in July 18th. I'd like to be able to chew on at least one side of my mouth! As it is, the tooth adjacent to this upper molar I had pulled a few weeks ago (for which I'm having a bridge made) is really giving me grief. I have to chew food on that side...and the tooth is so sensitive now. When it starts acting up bad, its very cold/cold sensitive; and if I chew anything remotely hard on that side now, that makes the tooth start to ache.
So, I certainly can relate. I think it is wrong for dental insurances to make people wait like yours does, before the coverage starts. That's plain wrong. We could have gotten this retired miltary dental coverage, but that plan also makes you wait periods before you can actually start using it. That's so stupid. Why have to pay for a plan, and not be able to use it?! Do you have any dental schools in your area? Is there a way you could get your old dental plan extended? I doubt it, but thought I'd throw that in...If it gets bad, you might have to just get it done, and make payments on it. Don't pull your tooth, even if it is cheaper. Since you're a college graduate, your income should keep going up, and dental care will become more affordable to you. There are online HMO dental plans you can look into: many of them say no waiting period. I feel lucky in that we have a decent dental plan: its an HMO type plan: but it has no yearly limit. They give us a discount on covered services, with no limit. For me its perfect, since I have such bad teeth. Aside from the bridge, this Endondtist I go to says I have two dead/dying teeth opposite the bridge (one of them is the one causing me pain now). Well, good luck. I hope someone else will be able to give you better suggestions than I have. I hope you find a solution soon....Deb47

Old 07-06-2002, 08:16 PM   #3

suzieq99 HB User
I dont know how extensive the pain is or how much effort you are willing to put into searching for another doc. i'm going to school for dentistry, and we have a working clinic at school with very respectable doctors and staff. and i know the prices are substantially lower than at private practices. the schools do honor insurance also but their base prices are quite a bit lower. just a suggestion to check out some local schools. and dont leave out the technical colleges,they have great programs too.

Old 07-06-2002, 09:27 PM   #4

whiptofized1 HB User
Thanks for the advice. No can do with the old insurance because i was on cobra. i also think it's bull that there are these stupid waiting periods, so i am paying for this dental insurance monthly that i can't use???? makes NO sense! where can i find out more about an HMO plan i can find online? Is it a discount program?

Old 07-07-2002, 10:59 AM   #5

Deb47 HB User
Hi again, Whip. Just use your search engine, and look up HMO dental plans; see what you come up with. I used one for several years; till it went out of business. The problem I've found with looking at online dental plans is that they give only a brief summary of examples of what you can save, if any. You'd have to contact them; ask them for a summary of benefits...and it is possible you can save a little money doing it this way. Also, be sure and find out if they have participating dentists in your area: that is very important. I'd even call the dentist you pick; make sure the dentist takes that plan coverage. These dental plans are far from great; but they sure beat nothing, I'd think. Maybe you could also try "best HMO dental plans", see if you come up with anything...
Just try every angle you can think of. IF this doesn't work, then just look for a good Endondtist in your area; see if this person will take payments for the root canal. Endondtists are the best way to go, if you need a root canal: BUT, the one's I've gone to won't build up the tooth...they'll just do the root canal; then you will need to go back to a regular dentist; have them finish it. BUT, maybe if you explained your situation to an Endondtist, maybe he'll finish the job; and that'll save you some money. You'll have to clearly explain your circumstances to him: tell him that this procedure already is costing you more than you can afford....maybe he'll/she will sympathise, and help you out. Also, you need to get the tooth crowned: a stainless steel crown is cheap, and it'll at least save the tooth....good luck to you. Deb47

Closed Thread