It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2002, 08:32 PM   #1

SherryCasey HB User
Post extraction

I have had problems with a lower first molar for two years. I had two root canals, an onlay, then a crown. The tooth was fractured before the last crown. Now I have a fistula with more infection and need the tooth extracted according to my new dentist. Since the tooth was fractured below the gumline before the last crown, should an oral surgeon extract the tooth or the new general dentist?

Old 07-08-2002, 08:50 PM   #2

SherryElaine HB User
Sherry
I was waiting to see a reply to your question. I also want to know what to do. I have infection in a root canaled tooth and was wondering if I should go to regular dentist or oral surgeon to get it removed. I am kinda thinking oral surgeon so if any thing breaks off or if it needs cleaning out an oral surgeon may know more about taken care of such things??? I had a wisdom tooth removed by regular dentist and wound up going to emergency oral surgeon cause root broke off and dentist could not get it out and it took oral surgeon to remove it plus some jaw bone to get it all.... Have you done anything yet with your tooth?

------------------

Sher

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2002, 07:34 AM   #3

simmie HB User
Sherry,

I've never had this problem exactly, but I'm anticipating it developing with my lower left first molar. It fractured vertically in two places, I'm in the process of having a crown placed on it. But it still occasionally aches. I don't know if this is because of the temp. crown or the teeth hitting it or an infection or what, but if it's still fractured below the gum line, my thinking is that it's better to extract it than wait for it to become infected. Have you thought about what you will be doing for the space in your bite? I'd err on the side of caution re: the extraction, as it's a molar and you've already had problems with it. An oral surgeon might cost more, but it will probably be a safer, quicker experience, even if your dentis is great. As has been pointed out, if there are complications, you'd end up there anyway. It's a tough choice to have a tooth extracted, esp. a molar. Good luck--I'll be wanting to hear how it resolves.

Sim

Old 07-09-2002, 03:31 PM   #4

SherryCasey HB User
SherryElaine and Simmie: Thanks so much for your posts. I am not sure yet what I will do about my extraction. The dentist said for me to do nothing for awhile as long as I can tolerate the tooth as is. I go back Oct. 16 for re-check. I was nervous while there and forgot to ask about who would do the extraction. I think I will ask him for a referral because I would worry less that way. We discussed a bridge vs. implant and he thinks an implant would be better as my second molar lies slightly to the side. I just know I will probably worry a little less about the extraction if I know how it is going to be done. After my last dentist, the one who goofed up this tooth, I want to feel as though I have some control.

Old 07-09-2002, 04:49 PM   #5
Inactive

Aster HB User
Go to an oral surgeon! My best friend had a cracked tooth so it broke in many pieces when the regular dentist tried to remove it. He sent her (she was in great pain)to an oral surgeon who GAVE HER AN IV AND KNOCKED HER OUT for the extraction.
ONly way to go.

------------------
Aster

Closed Thread