It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2002, 01:10 PM   #1

Emi106 HB User
Post Silver fillings

Hiya I have another ? about my filings. I got this one filing fixed and had silver filling in today.
It doesn't hurt or anything but since I have silver fillings on top when the top and bottom fillings touch it feels and taste like foil. I called my Dr and he said it's normal and should go away within few days. Has anyone had this b4?
it's like metal to metal kind of thing.
Emi

Old 07-09-2002, 03:02 PM   #2

SherryElaine HB User
Emi106 I didnot know dentist still put in silver fillings. Every time I get an old silver filling replaced they always put in the new white fillings. I know what you mean about the foil medtal taste, my old silver ones are like that and I hate it... I stillhave not done anything about my root canal tooth yet. Guess give up on it and have it extracted but I am chicken but tired of this painful jaw and the STRESS of thinking about it.....

------------------

Sher

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2002, 06:59 PM   #3

Emi106 HB User
For some reason White fillings don't work on me. All my teeth that had problems were white ones.
My old silver ones never gave me a problem. I'm just wondering how long this sensitivity's gonna last with my new filling I just got today. I guess I'll give it a few days.
Thanks for the reply!
Emi

Old 07-09-2002, 08:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

"Silver" fillings are actually composed of approximately 50 percent mercury. The remaining metals in this typical amalgam are usually silver, tin, copper, and zinc. The metal composition can vary slightly from this, but generally about half of the amalgam is mercury.

The mercury slowly leaks out of the amalgam and accumulates in the body (this has now been proven). The leakage is increased when we chew. I've read that it is stored in fat tissues. Mercury is extremely poisonous; much more so than lead. I just thought that I would clarify that for you all. We should all be informed, so that when we choose to put these metals in our mouth, we are doing it with our full knowledge of what is in there.

I had trouble with these mercury-silver dental amalgams ("silver fillings") and had them all replaced with white fillings. There are many different types of white filling restoration materials and cementing agents. It takes a skilled dentist (i.e, one who is familar with this procedure) to be able to restore teeth properly with white fillings.

Old 07-09-2002, 08:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

Also some mercury-silver dental amalgams may have small amounts of indium and palladium. These generally are well less that 5 percent of the total.

It's nice to know all of this. In my opinion using the term "silver" filling is misleading to all of us. I think we should know what they putting in our mouth, particularly if the metals are toxic. How many of us have been fooled, including myself?

I wish I knew about this earlier in life. I always knew from my studies about the dangers of mercury, but I did not know that it was in my mouth. Mercury is also in fluorescent light bulbs and a lot of other things. It had been used in some medications for years, until they stopped using them (like mercurochrome). More and more scientific data about this is becoming known day by day.

Old 07-10-2002, 07:39 AM   #6

simmie HB User
Emi,

It can take up to two weeks for the amalgam fillings to calm down and eliminate the sensitivity and foil-like taste. This is because the edges of the filling needs to corrode and fill in the small gaps around it. Unfortunately (or fortunately) this is the advantage of "silver" fillings for people who have trouble with composite ones. Unfortunately, because the older-style amalgam has mercury (although there is at least one new kind that does not and still *looks* silver), fortunately because it can be much longer-lasting than the composites. I'm no big fan of the "silver" fillings myself, but they have so far outlived my composite ones almost every time.

Rhody, it's great that you've had such wonderful luck with composites--you must have mostly small cavities that needed to be filled, or very strong teeth. They still can't be used for *all* cases. Yes, when they are used, it's an advantage, but sometimes it's just not possible. Also, all the literature I've seen says that it's more difficult to detect decay underneath them, and they do tend to leak more at the edges. Of course, it probably depends on your dentist, too--those with more experience with composites will likely do a better job of placing them to begin with and monitoring them afterward. It seems like you found yourself a great dentist for your needs.

Sim

Old 07-10-2002, 08:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

I had 8 amalgams replaced. These were rather large or medium sized at the very least (one covering about half the surface). I have a great dentist. I've had these in for 8-1/2 years without any problems. They might be porcelain, which explains their strength and durability.

I have heard of people that don't get as good of results, that's why I mention to others to check around before selecting a good cosmetic dentist to put in white fillings. From advertisements on the internet, some claim that they are getting better all the time with this type of dental restoration. I don't know if that is true, or whether it's just another ad to get one to use their product.

For those that would like all white teeth and to not have toxic metals in the mouth, I hope that they can deliver better products. We can only hope....

Old 07-10-2002, 11:52 AM   #8

Emi106 HB User
Thanks all for the reply : )
Today's Day 2 and when I woke up it was ALOT better!
I was told to eat hard boiled eggs cuz The yoke has something in it to stop the foil taste so I had 2 last night.
Like I said b4 most of my big white filing I had no luck. I don't know why.
Anyway thanks : )
Emi

Old 07-10-2002, 11:53 AM   #9

Emi106 HB User
Thanks all for the reply : )
Today's Day 2 and when I woke up it was ALOT better!
I was told to eat hard boiled eggs cuz The yoke has something in it to stop the foil taste so I had 2 last night.
Like I said b4 most of my big white filing I had no luck. I don't know why.
Anyway thanks : )
Emi

Closed Thread