It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2002, 07:01 PM   #1

antoni HB User
Post Extensive dental work and facial changes

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had noticeable facial changes from dental work they had done.

With my multiple fillings my bite is off and other people have commented that my lower face is "much thinner" since after the procedure but I didn't lose any weight. My bite felt much weaker than before and I could feel the change in tooth structure being reduced from the 9 teeth being shaved and filled from what they were before. Other people said there's no way dental fillings could cause extreme facial changes but I don' t know.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2002, 01:05 PM   #2

simmie HB User
Antoni,

You might be holding your jaw differently, that would cause your face to appear changed. And from what I've read, it would hardly be surprising--you've had so much trouble getting your bite adjusted correctly. I think people who say this stuff doesn't happen are incredibly lucky--they've never been through the "dental mill" effect of having a lot of work done and then gone bad. There are few things so frustrating in life.

Sim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2002, 02:41 PM   #3

antoni HB User
Hi Simmie,

You are probably right. This has gone on for a year all the shavings the refillings. Every time I had something done my jaw needs to readjust to the new position it has to go with by the changing teeth.

I remember how perfect my natural bite was and how all the teeth fit together in any position. Now forget it. I just sleep on my back and hold the teeth straight and loose. It's when I move my face/jaw to side to side things go awry.

It's really scary what dentists are capable of. This new air abrasion technology does multiple fillings in one shot. I had 4 done, then 5 done. Now even though they were supposedly so small a huge chunk of my natural enamel went with the micro decay. I've been told by other dentists that they do not like what I had done (the "drill less") air abrasion dentistry because it does not cut the tooth precisely. I think my bite problem will never really be resolved because out of the 9 teeth there so many combinations of ones being shaped wrong and filled wrong. He also did a bonding which is putting material on the surface of the teeth to reshape?? Now with the grinding that is eroding and my teeth are shorter.It's a long story how I agreed to it which I didn't because the doctor misled me about the procedure and did all this stuff.

This air abrasion is a method where they just see a little brown(healthy teeth can be OK with a little brown on them-it may not be a cavity) on a tooth which could be anything then claim they can repair it(they go after peoples healthy teeth.)They don't tell you the damage it can do. AIR ABRASION was a nightmare for me and ruined my natural healthy teeth. I hope people will read this and tell others about it because they advertise it all over the place.

My story is one of the horrors of modern dentistry working on a patient with healthy teeth and making me worse than when I went in.

How are things coming with your crown. I've read up on having crowns put in and they say the best way to do it is just have one done at a time that way it doesn't screw up your bite. Because with one tooth they always have a reference point for your bite. If they do two one above, one below, they could throw each other off so to speak.
Do you need to have your mercury fillings replaced. THey are suppose to last a long time.

Someone told me that doctors are hurting now for business because alot of people with fluoride don't have all the problems like they use to. Dentists are hurting for money and are resorting to doing many procedures which are unnecessary.

Good luck and post how your teeth are going. BUt I feel scared too about my bite and teeth. I'm like will it get worse, will I lose my teeth at an early age unnecessarily because of what the quack did to me.

[This message has been edited by antoni (edited 07-09-2002).]

Old 07-10-2002, 11:25 AM   #4

simmie HB User
Antoni,

Just went back to the dentist again this morning. Continuing dull ache in my jaw, no specific triggers. He wants to watch it for a few weeks (joy) and see what, if anything, develops. I can't be unhappy that he's being conservative, but I'm worried that it will blow up suddenly into something I tried to avoid. My next step is the endodontist just to see what's going on.

I haven't had my amalgams replaced with composite fillings, no--actually, I've needed crowns on the teeth before the fillings truly went; the teeth tend to crack vertically first.

I wouldn't be surprised if some dentists "make" work for themselves, truly. It's a scary world out there sometimes.

Sim

Old 07-10-2002, 12:12 PM   #5

antoni HB User
Hi Sim,

I know I am scared myself because I have an appointment with a new dentist the end of the month. He did extensive work on a friend of mine -- crown, implant so I'm hoping he'll be able to help me.

My jaw has been aching since yesterday nite(my pain tends to get worse by the end of the day). The "quick fix" filling replacement(white filling) I had done a month ago is reverting back to it's old shape(which is what I don't want) and that's why my bite may be off again. We'll see if he mentions having a crown put in or just an inlay(a hard material like gold) that won't change shape when chewed on. I had these nine white microfillings done and that's where my nightmare started.

With a wait and see attitude they don't want to do any damage to you, but that doesn't improve things either.
Cracked teeth is a common problem. Do you grind your teeth alot also??

Old 07-11-2002, 06:21 AM   #6

simmie HB User
Hi Antoni,

Yes, I grind my teeth a lot. I'm trying new stuff to resolve it--have had a night guard for over 10 years, worn every night. I'm not sure how much good it does. Got the book "taking control of TMJ" and it has some good suggestions. Also am trying some supplement suggestions I ran across. I'm getting desperate.

Good luck with the new dentist. I wish I could have had inlays or onlays for some of my teeth. They're better than crowns, that's for sure!!

Simmie

Closed Thread