It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2002, 10:54 PM   #1

spikedadragon HB User
Thumbs up Question: Regarding Wisdom Teeth removal- after taste/smell.

Ok, I'll make this somewhat short.
I've read all the other topics here dealing with Wisdom teeth, and none of them seem to deal with this.

Heree's a little recap of what's been done.
Day1: I got four wisdom teeth removed, none of which were through my gums, and the two bottoms were completely sideways, I don't know though if they were in the bone. I was out the whole time, woke up, and I was home, which is 75miles from the place I was at. Pain was ok.

Day2: Basicly up and still laying in bed, for theheck of it. On pain pills, just the basics. Only eating mashpotatoes, applesauce, icecream/malts, and jello. Slept most of the day.

Day3: Same as above, still eating and drinking the same way. Gatorade and Powerade had the best effects to my digestive system, and no surgar, i think.

Day4: Getting tired of the swelling, and to my surprise it wasn't as bad as it was. It never swelled larger than a dime, but it was noticeable.

Day5: Got the stiches out in the morning, 11:30. basicly waited in the waiting room a few minutes, went into the dentist room, sat down on the chair, he looked around, and then snipped a few threads/stiches. Told me it was fine, took less than 2 minutes. He also said to continue to do the salt water stuff, and it would be ok to use mouth wash too. Yay? So I left there, went to eat lunch, figured what the hay, tired of eating liquids. So I went to the Pretzel place, real soft pretzels, and bought a dunker. I ate with my front teeth the bet i could, occasionaly eating in the back teeth on the left and right side, felt better on the left. After that I watched MIB2 at the theater, and headed on home. When I got there, I started to taste a really bad aftertaste... it's really gagging taste to me. I mean terrible. I've told my parents, there gonna call the doc sometime.. lol when ever that is. I slept ok, with the awful taste.

Day6: Taste was getting worst. I could eat more solid foods tho, such as tequitos and pizza, as long as it was small bites. Still stayin away from the sugar stuff. I decided to buy tic tacs at walmart, they taste good and provided a shield from the awful aftertaste thing. problem is i have to take one every 5-10 min to be clear of the taste, otherwise suffer it.
I've yet to goto bed, because it's becoming unbearable..

Now brings me to the point of this. I was curriuos if any of you have had this by chance. and if so, lol describe the taste, so i know for sure. I can't describe it. all i can tell is that it's most likey coming from the cracks where the teeth were. the dentist did say it was leakage, and it happens... and something else about get use to it, or something, i dont know.

Anywayz, please reply... I really need information. A few more days of this, and I'm gonna get sixk from it straight forward.

Lataz
Spike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2002, 11:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Get plenty of water daily and do that swish with the salt more often, then get some mineral seasalt to drink in a small amount of water. You could swish with this kind too. It's got to be a good mineral sea/salt and have plenty of minerals in the label. Swish very gently but often. It has very good cleaning properties for the mouth and the body. I take a quarter of a teaspoon in a small amount of water and drink it for every quart of water I drink. I use to get yuck mouth with dental surgery too. This really does help. Diana

Old 07-11-2002, 11:37 AM   #3

spikedadragon HB User
Thumbs up

drs, thanks. I do that already tho.
I'm to the point where after I eat anything, snack or dinners, i just rinse with the teaspoon of salt in water.

Also, with the taste being there, the only way to suside it is for me to take tic tacs. I don't think they can do anydamage, as long they don't lodge in the itty cracks in the gums where it's slit. Tictacs do wonders, and seeminly ease the pain.
And they at least keep the taste away. Only problem is, that about 5 minutes or so later it's melted away and the taste is back, so you have to pop another in. Not to much of a problem, as I have about 8 of the containers, with 3 different flavors each, plus i have one of the huge ones with all the individual wrapped ones too.
they only cost .49 cents... but still the pain is bearable, but the taste is awful.

By chance can you or someone give me a timeframe on what to expect? Like when the taste will disperse, and when the cut should be whole again. It's only as thiick as a quarter width, or so, and only on the right side.

Thankz
Lataz
Spike

Old 07-11-2002, 08:00 PM   #4

spikedadragon HB User
Thumbs up

Please reply.

Old 07-16-2002, 02:37 PM   #5
(female)

Jules211 HB User
Spike-

I had a thread on here some time back about this. The ONLY thing that helped me was a syringe to flush out the wound (food gets lodged in there and won't come out with salt water alone). Unfortunately, my dentist didn't give me one until the 2 week follow-up, so I suffered through it without one. You might be able to get one at a local drug store or something.

Jules

Old 07-17-2002, 12:35 AM   #6

spikedadragon HB User
Thumbs up

Actauly Jules, I did get one, just recently... in fact it owuld of been yesterday, monday... and i got my teeth out the 5th, and yesterday was the 15th... so 10day.

Newayz, the taste is nearly gone, finally,... i saw a nother dentist he told me that it was healing upfine, and ihave no worries... no infections or anything.. pain isn't even an issue.

edit- i was beganing to wonder when someone else would reply... lol, watching the thread float to the bottom.

LAtaz
Spike

Closed Thread