It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2002, 11:20 AM   #1

*cantrell* HB User
Post novocane shot

I just found out today that I have 3 small cavities that they would to fill. They said it will probably take 3 shots since they are on opposite sides. I have NEVER had a novocane shot before and was wondering where they inject it and if it hurts. The dentist said they put numbing gel on the site but I am wondering if that will take all the pain away from having the injection. Please reply. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2002, 04:10 PM   #2
(female)

ammom1 HB User
Cantrell--You are pretty lucky to have never had a Novacaine shot!!! When my dentist does them, they do not hurt at all, and if your dentist is using a topical numbing agent, it should not hurt you. The shot really is not worth getting worked up over.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2002, 06:43 PM   #3
Inactive

Aster HB User
Cantrell, how the shots feel depends on the SKILL of the dentist. In dental school, dentists are taught
where to make the puncture based on what tooth they're working on and which PART of that tooth. As with all students, some "pick up" on this technique and some don't. I know; I've been to DOZENS of dentists over my lifetime. I tend to trust OLD dentists with the experience age brings. But...most of them are retired.
Some dentists seem to just jab away, carelessly; others are such Experts you barely know you've gotten a shot.
Best of luck to you in your quest for an old dentist
and remember: never give up seeking the Perfect one.
You can Always switch dentists AS LONG AS you do not reveal you've been to another First. I went to 4 in one year; talk about contrasts!! There ARE nice, passive,
warm , SKILLED dentists out there; they must be found.

------------------
Aster

Old 07-17-2002, 03:28 PM   #4

Sandrauk HB User
Wink

Hi ya

I used to have a phobia of injections still have in a strange way. Im 23 years old and until January of this year I had not visited a dentist in 15 years. I have 5 teeth that need removing and have had loads of fillings done. I was really scared when I was having my very first injection for a filling in my bottom front tooth. I was only supposed to be having some plastic coatings done (Painless) But my dentist man said to me: Sandra you really do need a filling in that tooth will you let me do it? I said: Can I just have a couple of mins to think about it he said yes take as long as you like I sat up in the dentist chair and got really mad with myself and within a few seconds I said yes do it Dr Hamid (my dentist)but only on my conditions thatís I donít see the injection before during and after he said noway just keep your eyes closed. I lie back kept my eyes closed relaxed my shoulders my arms my legs and did not think about the injection. It doesnít hurt it just feels like a little scratch thatís all. Take slow deep breaths through your nose and slowly let it breath through your mouth. This will make you fully relaxed you can not be relaxed and tensed at the same time. Once the injection is done it will take about 10 to 15 mins for your gum and tooth to go numb. Its funny when you can feel it going numb I kind of like it lol
Once you are numb you will not feel any pain or anything when having your treatment done. The numbing takes from anything from 1 an a half hours to wear off to 2 an a half hours. Its not that bad at all trust me :-) Be sure to let the dentist know that you have not had an injection before so they know its your first time. I have had 4 fillings done in total the one I told you about earlier another one at the front (top tooth) and 2 more at the back. I hope what I have wrote to you will help you in one way or another I just thought it would be appropriate to share my story with you. I still need loads of work done some extractions which im having done under IV sedation soon im not looking forward to that one bit but I have climbed my ladder this far and im not going to stop until I reach the top. Please let me know how you get on.
Kindest Regards
Sandra

Closed Thread