It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2002, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

ammom1 HB User
Post Mad as heck

I've got horrible molars and that's all there is to it. They are never comfortable and I've got crowns and root canals on 2 so far. Am a horrid dental patient.

Started a bit ago having discomfort on back upper molar. Told the dentist to just pull it out, as that's what I intended to do with all the way back ones, as I don't chew back there and with all the troubles I have I'd like to have 4 less teeth to worry about (and pay for). Well, he talked me into having a crown done on it. I made it clear that I had no intention of having a root canal on the tooth and if that's where we are headed, just pull it out. He said no, it would just need a crown. Had it done this morning (yuck) and at the end of the procedure he said he's concerned that I may need a root canal as the filing that he drilled out was so close to the nerve. I could have just spit (if my mouth wasn't so numb). I really couldn't talk very well but told him I really had no intention of having a root canal on the tooth, but let's wait and see how the tooth reacts to the crown. Oh, I am so mad I could scream. Now, I've got to pay for the crown and if the tooth doesn't do well as such I'm going to demand it be pulled or fine someone who will AND I'll be out the money for the crown (although he hasn't ordered the permanent yet).

Here's a question, anyone here have experience with having those very back molars pulled and living without them? It's got to beat living with the amount of dental work I'm facing if I keep them.

Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2002, 11:09 AM   #2

antoni HB User
Sounds a like a prime example of dental quackery. I now hate my molars too. I never had any problems with them(8 no less) until I went to one dentist that saw "a little brown" on them and said it's best to get the little decay while it's small. To make a long story short all of my molars were shaved down too much and my bite became lopsided(molars on left bigger than molars on right) when he put fillings in(albeit small). I had one tooth refilled twice in the hopes that they could get it to be the same size as the one on the other side of my mouth. The dentists say no problem they just build it up. Guess what it always reverts back to it's original mishapen form(like a flat stump block of cement). I'm so mad too, I hate the way the tooth feels and I am stuck with it. It was mutililated beyond repair and my mouth is somewhat sunken in on that side. And of course the other fillings I had done I think already need replacement because they are sensitive not to mention my bite being messed up.

I've never had a molar pulled but I hate the way it feels and with these crowns one is just asking for trouble if it's not done right. I agree why should you have to get a root canal for??? Didn't he foresee this might happen to you. I swear these dentists just lie to get you to agree to things and after you don't know what hit you.

When I complained to my dentist he tells me it's all in my head and to go on vacation from the teeth but I can't. What's not right isn't right. I even wish I could have it pulled but it's a I good tooth except for the mutilation.

All I can say is dont be surprised what these dentists are capable of pulling or saying. You were right in the beginning I think to just get rid of it, as they say treatment begets more treatment and the less you have to deal with these quacks(and bare in mind they all stick together so if you were to complain or seek help from another dentist, you'll get no sympathy).

Good luck and other people on the board have had extractions and many root canals so I hope they can advise.

Antonia

[This message has been edited by antoni (edited 07-15-2002).]

Old 07-15-2002, 03:01 PM   #3

Deb47 HB User
Hi, Antoni. I have been reading your posts. I can imagine how shaving down teeth wrong could cause you problems with your bite. What I don't understand is how just having 8 fillings put in your back teeth could cause you so much trouble. I've had a good 80 fillings put in my mouth, and I haven't gone all freaking out over it. True, I have some bad, ongoing dental problems; stemming from having so much of my teeth gone to fillings now...and deep fillings. Why don't you just pull those problem teeth? What are you going to do when you have real dental problems, like root canals, extractions to deal with? I just wonder....Deb47

Old 07-15-2002, 03:49 PM   #4

vw1 HB User
Deb47, I Second that motion!!

Old 07-16-2002, 07:44 AM   #5

antoni HB User
Thank you
I got a good laugh this morning!!!!!!

But remember noone has walked in my shoes and had fillings done by the "new drilless dentistry called air abrasion". This is where they shave your healthy tooth structure in huge chunks just to remove micro decay.

I know everybody is getting sick of my posting and complaining.

I am meeting with some prosthodontists and hopefully that will put and end to it. IF they tell me nothing can be done then that's it. I'll get on with my life or just post on the TMJD board.

A

Old 07-16-2002, 03:33 PM   #6

loula HB User
Deb47. It surprised me that you would not understand that any filling if its not done right can cause major problems and to me 8 fillings is a lot. I am in shock that you have 80 fillings in your mouth. How in the world could that be ? DO you know how much mercury is in your head close to the brain not to mention the trauma to your mouth. I am amazed at how much the human body can stand. How in the world did you get 80 fillings or was that a typo?

Old 07-16-2002, 04:09 PM   #7

Deb47 HB User
I probably have had more than 80 fillings put in, matter of fact. When I was young, I always had so many cavities, always. I have no idea how many fillings I have had. But most of my remaining teeth surfaces are fillings now. I am not going to loose sleep over possible mercury poisoning. I have lived this long all right.
Antoni, what I didn't understand was this: 8 fillings on otherwise healthy teeth. How deep were the fillings? I don't understand. You have mentioned your teeth shifting; the shape of your face changing, etc. It baffles me. Fillings in teeth DO NOT cause teeth to shift: nor do they change the shape of your face. Maybe, when you kept going back complaining about the fillings, the dentists started removing more and more tooth surface: and THAT is what is now causing you the problems now.Your bite is now off. That is one thing I have learned: never let a dentist shave any tooth, unless you are absolutely sure this will correct a problem. Otherwise, you might end up with a worse problem. I do hope you can resolve your teeth problems, Antoni. Its terrible to have to keep suffering. Deb47.

Old 07-17-2002, 05:59 AM   #8
(female)

ammom1 HB User
Wasn't this thread started with my original question about what it's like to have the top back molars pulled and then live without them?

I feel like I've been hijacked.

Old 07-17-2002, 08:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

ammom1,

I think it would depend on how many molars you would have pulled. Also, if you have a lot of crowded teeth, that might not make pulling these so bad.

I know I have a lot of extra teeth. If I lost a couple, actually for me it might be a blessing in disguise. If it was only two (one on each side), and they were at the very back, it probably won't have that much impact. Maybe you could ask your dentist? I'm sure that they get comments back from their patients all the time.

Old 07-17-2002, 09:32 AM   #10

Deb47 HB User
Talking

Sorry about that, Ammon1. I personally would try and keep my back molars; as they are the main teeth people chew with. ALL my molar teeth have crowns on them; some are root canaled, etc...
On a tooth I recently had pulled, a dentist long ago told me a crown probably would make the tooth feel better. It didn't. So, two root canals, an Apio, was done for it. I ended up pulling it. I have another very back bottom molar pulled, years ago. It took me time to adjust to that lost tooth. But everyone's different. You have to do what feels right for you. I'm sorry for being rude in my earlier posts...you have a serious problem that needs to be addressed. Deb47

Old 07-17-2002, 06:00 PM   #11
(female)

ammom1 HB User
Thanks, Deb, for your input. The molar in question is the last one and it is very, very small, I never chew on it. The dentist claims that if it is pulled my bite could collapse. I have no idea what that means. My mother, mother-in-law, father and now one brother all had those last molars pulled and lived just fine.

How horrid is it to have a molar pulled? I've never had it done. How long does it take, does it hurt?

Thanks for your help

Old 07-17-2002, 07:19 PM   #12

Deb47 HB User
Talking

That was nice of you, to reply back to me. I didn't deserve it. Anyway, it isn't too bad, getting teeth pulled. Now, here is what's funny. The one I had pulled a few years ago (it was on the bottom left side; the very back one)didn't cause my other teeth to shift, really. But this last one I had pulled (it was the 2nd from back, top right); I started noticing my teeth shifting soon after it was pulled. I noticed how, when I would floss my teeth near to it, the floss would slip in WAY too easy. But that was a large large tooth I had pulled. I am getting a bridge put on tomorrow...I have on a temorary bridge now; and they used a spacer, to keep the teeth apart. It takes time for a tooth socket to heal. You have to be very careful. Right after the tooth is pulled, the dentist will pack it up (this last tooth he sewed up the hole; then packed cotton in it). A blood clot has got to form...so you have to really watch it for the first day. They tell you not to suck or spit; this might dislodge the clot. Once you get through the first day, its not bad. If you can tolerate them, ask for some pain pills. They'll get you through the first few days...then you just have to be careful; gently swishing your mouth in salt/water rinse, several times a day. This will help take the blood taste out of your mouth; plus dry up the socket hole. You'll notice the hole will get funny feelings in it, for quite a while; but its not bad. The actual pulling of the tooth isn't pleasant...you'll feel a pressure...it just isn't pleasant; but you can do it. Its a temporary unpleasantness....just go to someone you think is competant. I've heard horror stories of people who are left with shards of tooth in their gums, after they get a tooth pulled. The tooth I had pulled recently came out intact, accept for two root tips.
I've worried if having this one back bottom molar out would cause my teeth to shift; but so far its been okay. I guess that is because its a very back tooth, unlike this last one I had pulled.
Actually, getting bad teeth out is better in the long run, than having pain in those teeth everyday. Its got to be your decision: you have to decide if they are too bad to save...anyway, good luck to you...Deb47

Closed Thread