It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2002, 07:17 AM   #1

wisdom HB User
Post Root Canal Question

Well, I finally had that pesky tooth root canal'd! If you remember from earlier posts, I was having pressure or biting pain when I chewed on it. So I havent been for about 8 months since the filling. Anyway, we did the root canal and it was nothing at all. In fact, I didnt feel a thing. Even after the novicane wore off, its been very mild! However, while I do feel some of the sensitivity gone, there is still some there, and im wondering...why? He told me to give it a week and with each day it would get better and better. I guess im being impatient, but im worried that I still have some of the same feeling that I had before. He told me that there are still nerves around the outside of the tooth and that if there was a fracture there that went all the way up to the root, that could be why! Well, what happens next? Do I have to loose the tooth alltogether?

Im just wondering if anyone else has had a root canal for the same reason, and what it was like recovering. Did it go away or did you need further work done? I never had too much sensitivity to hot/cold, but did recently somewhat to cold. Thats gone, its just this sensitivity that seems to be taking its sweet time healing. Anyone have any stories? I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Wisdom

Old 07-22-2002, 01:26 PM   #2
(female)

Jules211 HB User
I had two r/c in feb., and one of them is crowned. That one doesn't bother me at all. With the other one, I can occasionally feel a sensitivity but it's not painful. One thing I have heard is that if you don't get the tooth crowned quickly enough, food debris and bacteria can enter the tooth cavity and irritate it, or the tooth can crack and you'll have wasted the money for that root canal since they usually have to redo the procedure or pull the tooth in that case. I would insist that your dentist discuss the health of that tooth with you before you crown it, though, because you don't want to have to continue fighting problems with it after it's been crowned. As for me, I am having to wait on the second crown b/c it's so expensive. I am trying not to chew on that side and hoping it will work out!

Good luck,
Jules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread