It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2002, 12:58 PM   #1

duneraver HB User
Question thrush?

for a looong time now i remember my tongue being white. more recently, as i've gotten older(i'm 19) i've taken more of an interest into this and why it's like this. i've noticed in the back of my tongue it seems like the tastebuds are REALLY BIG and red and there are red spots on the sides of my tongue in the back, also red. plus i have the white coating on my tongue and when i brush it in the morning, if i accidentally brush it too hard my tongue bleeds a little. after searching a lot on the net and reading postings here, i've figured that it is probably thrush that i have. anyone want to help confirm this for me. also, how effective are the over-the-counter treatments versus the perscription treatments? thanks everyone!
i just read up on this some more and it seems that this condition tends to leave the tongue in some pain/discomfort after brushing the whiteness off. is this true or does that depend on the severity of the condition?

[This message has been edited by duneraver (edited 07-21-2002).]

Old 07-22-2002, 03:09 PM   #2
(female)

ammom1 HB User
The bumps on the back of your tongue are normal, everyone has them, some are bigger than others. Mine are huge and look like giant warts, my kids crack up whenever they see them.

As for thrush, it is very distinct and is more than just a simple white coating. It is like a curdled milk coating in some spots, and when rubbed off it does indeed make a sore spot. I've had trouble with it off and on due to asthma meds. I do not know of any across the counter med for thrush, I always need a prescription for Nystatin, an antifungal that you rinse real well in your mouth and then swallow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread