It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

opalfruit HB User
Root Canal

Has anyone got anything good to say about root canals?

I have had a really bad toothache and eventually my dentist has advised a root canal filling. She started to do this on Wednesday but while she was doing it I started to feel some pain so she stopped. She has put something on the nerves that she says will gently kill them and has given me a temporary filling, I have to go back next week.

Has anyone else had this done, I am petrified that I will feel pain again.

To make things worse I am agoraphobic so am really nervous anyway. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Old 11-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #2

Murphy HB User
Cool Re: Root Canal

I know some one that had this done. I had a whole different type procedure
where they removed roots & packed them w/ antibiotic packing & then sealed
w/ yuk-rubber tasting stuff, then put on oral antibiotics 1 week for any
infection. Teeth roots can be very painful & trauma sometimes requires a
narcotic like Lortab short term. Stress can cause clenching teeth which isn't
good. Not sure why U weren't given a light sedative or more injection to
finish the job. That would really tick me off. The meds to kill off roots has
been used often & has success. Just ask DDS to record how your canal was done so if U have to return for any infections, the Dr. can absorb the cost.
Call & see if U can get something for your anxiety to take next appt. & U will
have someone drive you to/from appt. Dental work is always stressful. I think
it's because teeth R so close to brain & ears. My teeth just spasm when I
call for a cleaning appt. My DDS knows I have a lo-threshold w/ teeth work
so we have a signal. If I hold up my index finger, he better stop & let me
breathe alittle or my reflex will bite is fingers w/ a death grip! I handle alot of
pain but it takes 5 shots to numb me up. We're all different. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Tattooall HB User
Re: Root Canal

I had a root canal done in the summer. I am so scared of dentists but I survived. I took 5 shots to numb me up too but my everything went great and I have no more pain in that tooth and can chew on it normally just like before.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #4
(female)

Border3899 HB User

Oh yes i feel your pain...back in April i had a root canal done, she started i could feel it so she gave me a shot of intrapulpal novicaine where they inject novicaine right in the root once they get the tooth open. This numbed it up and she was able to finish. A week later i went in to have it finished and when she drilled back in same thing i felt everything, so she gave me another shot of novicaine cleaned it out and filled it with an antibiotic. A week later i go back to have the root canal finished and again i felt everything so she gave me another shot, started again and i still felt it so she gave me another shot started and again still felt it, so she called out for the big kahoona and injected it again directly into the roots of the tooth, FINALLY that worked and she finished the root canal.

Unfortunately for me that tooth still caused me pain so i had to go to an Endodontist who found a hidden canal. The tooth is still causing me minimal pain but i've had two root canals on it and an apico on it with no success, so i know i need it pulled but refuse to pull it because i've got over three thousand dollars into this one stupid tooth, to pay 80 bucks to have it pulled would just aggrivate me even more!

When you go back if you feel it again ask them if they can give you a shot of intrapulpal novicaine it should work to numb the tooth so they can finish the root canal. When they're giving the intrapulpal it will hurt like nothing before but only for a split second and you should be pain free.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:39 AM   #5
(female)

opalfruit HB User

Thanks for your replies.

I went back yesterday and they managed to clean out the root canals without causing me any pain. Have to go back next week to have it filled properly, am hoping that will also be painfree.

Closed Thread