It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2002, 09:30 AM   #1

caseyg HB User
Unhappy Teeth whitening nightmare

Please make sure you follow these steps when using over the counter (or on line) teeth whitening kits without a dentist's supervision:

1. Make sure the tray is trimmed to fit ONLY over your teeth.

2. Make sure the gel does not sit on your gums - wipe with a Q-tip if it does. Not your finger as this will rub it into the gum tissue. I would suggest putting vaseline on your gum tissue first.

3. I would suggest using a concentration of only 10% - will take longer, but much safer.

4. Test it on a small area to make sure you are not allergic as I was.

I purchased a kit on line that is 17% carbamide peroxide. I used this back in April and am still in pain. It damaged my tongue (couldn't see the damage)and it tingled and burned for 6 weeks. My bottom gums and a small portion of my top gums are still burning and feel like the tissue is raw. It's hard to see the damage and I have been to two doctors, a periodontist, and two dentists - no help. I am seeing a cosmetic dentist today to look into gum grafting. I am posting this message so that someone else is aware of the potential damage this can cause if not used properly(rare - but it happened to me). It's advertised as being so safe - similar to LASIK surgery a few years ago.

Old 07-23-2002, 11:33 AM   #2
Inactive

Aster HB User
Casey!!!!!That is terrible!! My daughter is a Nurse.
She told me how to use my kit and it works. I feel guilty telling you since what happened is preventable but for others' use here goes:
D said, "mom, you do Not need to line the form with a
row of bleach like you'd use a line of toothpaste.
You put a pea sized amount in the front, in one place,
in the form then RUB IT TO THE BACKS with your finger.
I got my bleach on ebay and have not had a problem.
The bleach lasts forever this way and no burning.
Let us know what they decide to do. Skins grafts are pretty drastic and uncomfortable. Seems like you could find a healing ointment to apply between all meals and at bedtime and maybe take antibiotics. Good luck to you

------------------
Aster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2002, 02:39 PM   #3

caseyg HB User
They gave me a mouthwash called Stanford mouthwash... it has anti-imflammatory, stuff to fight bacterial and fungal infection. Have follow-up next week with a periodontist to see if this is working. If not, I guess gum grafts possible... he really wanted to try this first which makes sense. Hope this works!

Closed Thread