It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2002, 09:54 AM   #1

diddydee65 HB User
Unhappy SEVERE FACE SWELLING AFTER EXTRACTION AND TEMP CROWN, DENTIST WON;T SEE ME YET!!

Severe Swelling 4 days after extraction & temp crown DENTIST WILL NOT SEE ME FOR SEVERAL DAYS

Hi there, I am at my wits end. my dentist will not see m until next week. 4 days ago iwent for a root canal. Doc said the tooth was shot, he would need to extract it and do a "3 point " bridge and crown. he said the teeth on either side would be used in the bridge. he pulled tooth and cemented in a temp crown and did something called a 'figure 8' with something that looked like dental floss. ( I am to go back in 2 weeks for the perm crown) the pain and swelling was moderate that evening. the next morning the pain lessened but the swelling slightly worse, today 4 days later the swelling is incredible, my whole right cheek and part of my lip. Now my gum is hurting somewhat but what hurts the most is the inner part of my swollen cheek and lip. My upper outer cheek seems very tense to the touch, almost ridged. I also have a slight sore throat similar to that burning sensation in throat/ear when i am catching a cold, i do not however have any other cold symptons... The dentist office was unsympathetic to all this and said they could not see me until next week ...today is Thursday.. any ideas on what is happening to me, any ideas for relief. ice does not seem to work, in fact i think it made the swelling worse. Thankyou

Old 07-25-2002, 12:13 PM   #2

zahnschmerzen HB User
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your pain.
I would go see the dentist first thing tomorrow morning (right when they open!) without an appointment. Hopefully when they see the swelling, they will manage to get to you. Making you wait till next week is unacceptable IMHO.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2002, 12:50 PM   #3

SherryElaine HB User
I agree with Zahn, be there when they unlock the door in the morning and demand to be seen and if you look the way you decribed I don't see how they can turn you down. If your in real bad pain and swelling is really bad and can't wait then go to ER. Good Luck sweetie..

------------------

Sher

Old 07-25-2002, 10:06 PM   #4

LibraryLynn HB User
I say either go in and demand they look at it or find another dentist. I had two wisdom teeth pulled a couple of months ago, and when mine swelled up like that, I had an abscess. It could also be a dry socket since it hurts up into your ear. Either way, you shouldn't be in pain and swollen like that.

Take care...I know, tooth pain is no fun.

Lynn

Old 07-26-2002, 07:20 AM   #5

diddydee65 HB User
Thumbs up

Dear Lynn, Sher and Zahn
Thank you for encouraging me to be more demanding. After dealing with his snooty receptionist I went over there right before closing ..he took an x-ray found nothing, pulled the temp out and Thank God no dry socket but still an infection, gave me an antibiotic and Ibuprofin RX and before teh end of the night the pain was gone and th swelling is down about 80%! When he told me that he was "so glad" I came in I told him about how I was treated by his receptionist. She even gave me ahard time to make my follow up appt next week becasue it was the last appt of the day... I had to tell her the Doctor had no problem with that and why doesn;t she call him out to verify that... with that she gave me my appt.
I know Dr's hire hardnosed people in the front office but I have always paid my bill so I don;t know what her problem is; honestly I think this woman has a serious attitude problem.. But anyway Thank you again for your encouraging me to be more aggresive, it worked!

Old 07-26-2002, 04:09 PM   #6

LibraryLynn HB User
Diddy,

YEAH! I'm glad you went in...those infections terribly painful. You're on the mend now, but if it starts to hurt or swell again, go back. Don't hesitate.

I understand the receptionists have to be "protective" but there is never any call to be snooty, especially with someone in pain. The last thing you need is snooty.

Take care,
Lynn

Closed Thread