It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2002, 07:19 PM   #1
Veteran

wattagirl HB User
Post braces

sorry about posting two questions but inquiring minds want to know-my nephew is getting braces-his dentist put on only the top ones and said he would have to wear them until he goes into high school and then he'll put on the bottom ones which he'll have to wear until he's a junior-keep in mind he is only going into the 7th grade-then she says he will have to wear a retainer for the rest of his life-i don't recall ever seeing any 60 yr old people walking around with a retainer-anyway this sounds like a long time to wear braces and i don't understand why he can't have top and bottom on at the same time-she says they don't do that-i don't know but it just doesn't sound right-he is getting this done courtesy of ten care and i just wonder if this has anything to do with how he's being treated-sorry so long-thanks ,wattagirl

[This message has been edited by wattagirl (edited 07-23-2002).]

Old 07-25-2002, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran

wattagirl HB User
will somebody please read this and answer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2002, 08:17 PM   #3
(female)

Kanga HB User
I can't answer your questions completely, because I am not familiar with your nephew's orthadontist. I, however, had braces through from 7th grade through 9th grade. When they took them off, they put a small metal bar on the back side of my front lower teeth that would serve as a retainer and remain there permanantly. For my top teeth, I have a clear retainer (you can't even tell I'm wearing it) that I wear only at night...sometimes every night, sometimes every other night. I'm not exactly sure as to what sort of retainer plan your nephew is going to have, but tell him not to fret. Just consult the orthadontist and express your conern, I'm sure he/she will do their best to fix it. Braces are supposed to be a fix - not another burden. Good luck!

------------------
~*†RaCh†*~

Old 07-30-2002, 07:03 AM   #4

richdizz HB User
There are several reasons for putting on just the top braces first. One reason is because the top may need longer treatment. Another BIG reason is for correcting the bite. Braces are not just to make teeth straight, but also to fix problems with your bite. If you do not move teeth in the correct way or order, you can easily develop TMJ and that SUCKS! Lastly, if your nephew is still growing, you often need to wear braces a little longer to ensure that everything will turn out correct when they stop growing (I know he doesn't want to get them put back on in a few years)

I think your nephew may have misunderstood his orthodontist on the retainer instructions. Ideally, your orthodontist would like you to wear your retainer at night for the rest of your life, but lets be real...that isn't going to happen. My orthodontist said I need to wear my retainer 24/7 the first year and then every night thereafter. As adults age, their jaw shinks (just like all bones). This causes crowding in your mouth. A retainer can prevent this crowding.

There are good alternatives in retainers though. You can get clear top retainers and perminate bottom ones.

Closed Thread