It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2002, 09:10 AM   #1

zahnschmerzen HB User
Post To deb47

Hi deb,

Let us know how your root canal went. Thinking about you today. Best wishes.

Old 07-25-2002, 05:38 PM   #2

Deb47 HB User
Hi, Zahn. Thank you for remembering today was my root canal day! Actually, I post poned the appointment, till Aug. 20th. I kind of hated putting it off that long; but I have been trying to get my bridge (well, the gum under the bridge, from the tooth I had pulled) to calm down. I think its getting better, finally. I didn't want both sides of my mouth to be out of commision. Sometimes the tooth I want root canaled really bothers me...right now its okay. It makes me so nervous; I've been just running on nervous energy lately. If I can tired myself out, then I really don't think about the tooth as much. I sure have been getting a lot accomplished around my home, though, lately! I've been dipping the spongy part of the special bridge floss in peroxide; then flossing inside the bridge with it. Then I rinse my mouth out with a peroxide/water rinse. The gum under the bridge had been so sore. My dentist just didn't seem concerned about it; but I wanted to try and heal it up before it got worse. Today, for the first time, I didn't have as much swollen feeling in the gum above the bridge; above that socket I mean...its slowly getting better (knock on wood). I just could not have handled getting used to the bridge, and the pain of a root canal, at the same time. Root canals never used to bother me: not I suffer afterwards for quite some time. The gum under the bridge is sore still, but with some luck, it'll keep improving. Thanks for remembering, Zahn....I'lllet you know how it goes, when I do get it done...Deb47

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2002, 09:37 AM   #3

antoni HB User
Hey DEb,

Good luck with the bridge.

Old 07-26-2002, 04:51 PM   #4

SherryElaine HB User
Deb did you get a bridge right after tooth extraction? My mother in law had to wait one month after extraction before dentist would put in a bridge.... You say it takes a long time for you to get over your root canals. How long? It has been 5 months for me since last rooth canal and it still bothers me at times. Not the tooth but under the tooth in jaw bone. Looks ok on xray and they say either take more antibiotics or extract it. Could possibly be cracked vertically and not be able to see it on xray. I hate to pull it if is going to get better but 5 months seems like a long time.

------------------

Sher

Old 07-26-2002, 05:24 PM   #5

zahnschmerzen HB User
Hi Sherry and Deb,

First of Deb, good luck with the healing! It took my mother a while to adjust to her bridge. At least it's "only" the gums, and not one of the bridge abutment teeth that is giving you trouble, so it will get better sooner or later I might postpone my second root canal as well (my appointment is on Wed) until I finally have the other side of my mouth finished (still about a month and a half away), 'cause I want to be able to chew... Nothing worse than a summer on a liquid diet. And that tooth is bothering me only a little these days (probably it will get worse the moment I cancel the appointment). Don't we all know that feeling.
Sherry, I had my first root canal 3 months ago. Got worse after - sensitivity to touch and general soreness on that side of my face. Very unusual (supposedly), since I did not have an abscess. In my case, the sensitivity to touch finally went away a week and a half ago, after the endo replaced the root filling by medication. x rays are fine. Soreness/pain remains. I can't tell whether the pain comes from my upper or lower jaw. It depends. I am worried it may be another tooth. Is your pain localized to the jaw in which you had the root canal?
At any rate, did you have an abscess (something visible on the x-ray) when you got the RC? Did it smell bad when they opened the tooth? In those cases, I think it's normal if the tooth takes quite a while to heal. Unfortunately I didn't have any of that, so my pain after 3 months is a mystery. I just hope it's not another tooth!!! (Although I guess that would mean that at least I wouldn't lose my root canaled one).
Best wishes to both of you. I feel very lucky to have people like you to share tooth stories with - my husband is sure sick of it.

Old 07-26-2002, 07:22 PM   #6

Deb47 HB User
Wink

Thanks, Zahn. Hey, Antoni; thank you also. I just read the other thread, and realised you had posted a reply back to me. The bridge feels okay; its just one area that hits on a bottom tooth. That has made that tooth sore. I already had my dentist shave that bottom tooth down; but it feels like he missed the crucial spot. Its not bad; actually it just feels like the teeth meet now; but for some reason, it bothers this bottom tooth. I keep trying to make myself not put my teeth together (which is hard to do; when you're telling yourself not to do it!).
Antoni, several years ago a top front tooth broke off in one place, just a bit. A dentist I was seeing at the time told me I could get this bonded stuff put on the tooth, to fill it in. I paid good money at the time for this to be done, and it only lasted about a week. Maybe now they're coming up with better, harder materials to put on teeth. And of course, that was a front tooth; a biting tooth. Probably the bonding materials would work better on back molars. But I have no idea about that; never had it done. Most all my teeth are crowned now...I hate that. I will try and hang on to my teeth for a while; till they totally wear me down.
Sherry Elaine; I sure hope your tooth calms down. I can only say my experiences with root canals the past several years have not been good. The bottom tooth that's bothering me now was the last root canaled tooth I had done. It has a crown on it, too; but now its tingling, feeling not so good. The tooth I had to have pulled hurt me for a loooong time; till I finally pulled it. That one had 2 root canals, an apio done on it. Of course, my dentists NEVER actually see anything wrong; that's what drives me crazy. My husband has gum disease, but he's getting it under control now. His teeth are very strong, though. He never has had a toothache, that I can remember. It drives me nutty sometimes, that that's ALL I have is toothaches. I sometimes feel my mouth is a ticking time bomb, just ready to explode at any time. I wish I could just forget about my teeth; not have to worry about them. I guess I shouldn't worry about it; what is the worst thing that can happen? Excruiating pain? Big deal, ha! ha!
I did wait to get the bridge: I had the tooth pulled May 14th. They prepped me for the crown July 1st. But the tooth socket is still sore.
Sherry Elaine, at least your tooth isn't hurting you all the time. That may be a good sign its healing. The times it feels better will probably get longer and longer.
Antoni, I do know what it feels like to have your bite off whack. Its really a terrible feeling. When you get your teeth built up, you should get a mouth guard. That way, your grinding your teeth at night won't destroy the build ups. Get the mouth guard before you get the work done on your teeth. Let yourself get used to it beforehand. I bought mine at a sporting goods store; but I hear people with TMJ need specially made ones.
Well, my best to all of you. I wish you good dental outcomes...Deb47

Old 07-27-2002, 05:41 AM   #7

SherryElaine HB User
Zahn, I will try to answer your questions. The tooth I had root canaled did not have cavaty or any thing ever done to it. It looked like normal tooth, no abcess either. I woke up one morning with small knot under my chin jaw area. Still no tooth pain. After about 4 days one morning I drank coffee and the hot liquid hit the tooth and wow it was sharp pain but that was all I had. No other pain. Went to dentist he gave antibiotics and the heat sensitivity went away and it felt fine, my dentist said I needed root canal so I went thru with it and he did it all in one day, root canal and crown. No smell to tooth as you asked. All he said was the tooth was like dried up in side and the root tip was calcified and he could not get to end of it. Three days later I had tooth pain and jaw pain that I did not have before root canal. That went for 9 months until I asked him to redo the root canal and so he did and then it got all infected and more anitbiotics. 2 months later he sent me to endodontist and she does retreat, 3rd time now and tooth feels better but still have jaw pain and it is right under tooth and she says probably jaw bone infection. I can take antibiotics and it will go way down in pain level but after 4 to 6 weeks it flares back up. At this time I still don't have the crown on or a temp cause every time I get a temp put on it, it makes it worse so dentist says it could posible be cracked and it does not show on xray.... Hope that answers your question. I know what you mean about husband, my husband is sick of hearing me too so I keep it to myself now. He just yells just go get the &*%$# pulled and get a bridge.
PS Now dentist says my husband needs a wisdom tooth pulled and he is freaked out saying he is scared and afraid it will hurt. Sooooo I say just go get the *&^%^& pulled. £ō£

------------------

Sher

Old 07-27-2002, 02:54 PM   #8

antoni HB User
You guys have alot going on PAIN --- OOOhhhh!!!!

My doctor gave me tylenol with codeine for the one suspect abscessed tooth that I had that gave me tweeks on and off. IT helped with the pain but then I got really nautious. I guess maybe painkillers would help until the healing is through.

Since I've had my dental problems I think about the teeth 24/7. I wonder will it ever go away or only get worse.

Old 07-27-2002, 06:41 PM   #9

zahnschmerzen HB User
SherryElaine,

Your problem is clearly major. From what you say, it seems like you had an abscess, and the infection in the bone refuses to heal. You obviously can't keep taking antibiotics on and off. I think this situation is really ripe for an apicoectomy. But did you say in an earlier post that was too risky because of the nerve in the lower jaw? Hmmm. Maybe get another opinion. Have they ever tried to leave medication (calcium hydroxide) in the tooth for several weeks? That ended up eliminating my sensitivy to touch, at least for now. That medication spreads into the bone surrounding the tooth roots if left in there long enough, and it would eliminate any dead tissue in accessory canals that may be feeding the infection. Of course, that means another retreatment, and I don't know how successful that would be. Alternatively, maybe get a free consulation for an implant. If you bring an x-ray, they might be able to tell if you need nerve repositioning or bone grafts for an implant. If not, the implant shouldn't be too expensive, and in the lower jaw, they are very very successful (really amazing, actually), and you don't need to worry about shaving down your other teeth for a bridge if they are in ok shape now. Of course, it takes a while. But you have been hurting for such a long time already (for me it's been "only" 5 months, and I am SICK of it)!! Poor you.
As for me, now that the touch sensitivity is gone in my upper root canaled molar, and the pain is starting to localize more in the lower jaw, I really think a third tooth is in need of RCT. Yikes! what are the chances - 3 teeth dying slowly but surely within 3 months of each other. And I've always gone to the dentist for checkups. And no insurance (all this is costing me half a fortune - I already cancelled our vacation!)But I am afraid of getting the lower molar done, since my upper molar is shaved down, and I can't get onlays on both the bottom and the top at the same time. Otherwise, I'd be left with Antonia's bite problems. I just hope the lower tooth doesn't blow up before the top gets finished. Neverending tooth problems.

Old 07-28-2002, 09:02 PM   #10

SherryElaine HB User
Zahn, yes I had the cal.hyd. med left in tooth for about 3 months and it did not help. Don't think it could have helped the jaw bone any because tooth has calcified root tip and makes it like clogged. Could not get apico because of the number of tooth being where major nerves are I was told, I did get another opinion and was told most endodotist will not do a apico on a #29 tooth. You mentioned trying for a free consult with a dentist for implant, I have called 3 and they are not free. They were all around 200.00 for consult and xray and was told implant for that tooth wil run from 1,200.00 to about 1,500.00 plus cost of crown. So I have not decided what to yet...

Old 07-28-2002, 09:33 PM   #11

Deb47 HB User
Hi, Sherry. If your tooth doesn't get better, just schedule to have it pulled. It'll be alright. I was scared to get a bridge, but it wasn't that bad. It sure beats having an aching tooth all the time. My problem is that I have so many other problem teeth. I wish I just had one problem tooth...the bridge was hitting a tooth on my bottom...now that tooth is really flaring up on me, despite this tooth being root canaled and having a crown on it. I am thinking this tooth is still hitting the bridge; just not as much (my dentist shaved some off that bottom tooth, almost a week ago). I hope that's all the problem there is with it! I just cannot go down this road again, with this new tooth, like I did with the tooth I had pulled. I bet, if you do have to get the tooth pulled, you'll be much happier; relieved also. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, a tooth just cannot be salvaged. I do hope your tooth gets better...I sure wished that same thing with the tooth I had pulled. At least you know you don't have to endlessly suffer with that tooth. You can at some point put a stop to it...good luck! Deb47

Old 07-29-2002, 11:49 AM   #12

antoni HB User
Hi Deb-everybody

HOw's it goin with the bridge and bottom tooth situation.

I meant to ask you since you have had alot of root canals if you had this happen to the tooth before deciding it was a candidate for root canal -- a little pain or Tweak that comes and goes. THis has gone on for the past year since I had all the bite problems. Most of the dentists said they did not know for sure if it was an abscess or just a spot on the X-ray. There was no sign of a crack in the tooth. THey told me to leave it alone.

I'm asking because this is the one mutilated molar that needs material added to it so I am thinking if I spend $1,500.00 on the tooth but then it blows out into something worse????!!!!! It may not be worth it.

Any input would be appreciated...

Old 07-29-2002, 01:57 PM   #13

Deb47 HB User
Hi, Antoni. I'm not an expert on who needs a root canal. The dentist do tests like putting ice on the tooth; see how that affects it. This Endondtist I've gone to says I have two teeth that need root canals. He said this is because they didn't respond to the ice: I didn't feel anything. One of these teeth has been bothering me alot, but it has calmed down again. So I don't know what to think. After I had my bridge put on recently, when I would put my teeth together, a part of the bridge (they're top teeth) would hit this bottom tooth. This made that tooth very sore. I went today to my dentist; asked him to shave down that bottom tooth (for the 2nd time). A spot still hits when I bite down, but it does feel better now. Last night this bottom tooth was really hurting me, bad. I have to stop putting my teeth together for a while....I hope this bottom tooth will calm down. Your molar might just be traumatized by your incorrect bite. That's what it sounds like to me. If you hit high spots when you bite down, in your teeth, this will irritate your teeth. When your bite is corrected, this will take the stress off that tooth, I'll bet...good luck to you...Deb47

Old 07-30-2002, 09:48 AM   #14

antoni HB User
Hi, Deb,

Thanks for responding. I know these high spots can be a real nightmare. As for the ice test, I have heard of that(endodontists do that). Regular dentists check for swelling and pain and if there isn't any they leave it alone.

I called my current dentist and asked him about it and he wants me to stop in and take x-rays to see if anything changed from the last X-rays to determine what's going on. I wanted just a phone opinion rather than having to go in. I'll probably cancel the appointment. I feel more comfortable with the prosthodontist and I'm seeing him Thursday so maybe the tooth just have nerve irritation from the bad bite like you said.

With all my dental discomfort I would(and still do just sleep on my back with my mouth open) and not put the teeth together if that helps till your tooth heals. I know these high spots are so annoying and it's rocket scientry for them to get rid of them in one shot.

My boss' sister hear at work has gum disease and the dentist is recommending pulling all of her upper teeth out(because they are loose and need to all be pulled for a partial). She doesn't want to have them all pulled because it's too traumatic. Does this seem extreme to you ??// Couldn't they just do it by pulling a couple teeth out at a time??? I told him if he wants another opinion go to the prosthodontist.

Old 07-30-2002, 02:59 PM   #15

Deb47 HB User
Talking

Hi, Antoni. That's too bad about your boss's sister. If I were her, I'd check into maybe oral rinses or something, before getting her teeth pulled. If she has tried everything, and her teeth are still loose, then maybe pulling them all out if the best way. My teeth's roots run deep, and so getting a tooth pulled is really hard...but if my teeth were real loose, it might not be as bad. She should get put under anesthesia to have it done. This will help. But if I were her, I'd get a 2nd and 3rd opinion, before pulling them. Sometimes I've heard loose teeth can tighten up...but maybe she has major bone loss....
The bottom tooth I had shaved down now almost feels too short. Even my dentist said that. He said, "now that tooth isn't touching the top teeth at all!". But the pressure is off that bottom tooth, at least. I'm not going to have my bite adjusted anymore...It truly is a science, to do it right. It feels terrible when your teeth don't fit together right. My teeth feel okay now. I never had to have my new bridge shaved down at all, thank God for that. All this dental nightmare I've gone through has made me appreicate every little good thing that happens, with my teeth!
Have you ever tried a night guard, Antoni? You might grind your teeth when you go into a deep sleep. A night guard isn't so bad to get used to. Its just another one of those things some people have to deal with in life...ah, getting older is so much fun, isn't it?! Deb47

Closed Thread