It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2002, 06:15 AM   #1

simmie HB User
Question Partial Dentures--upper

Hi Everyone,

My mom, who's in her 60s, has had bridges on her upper jaw since she was 20. Over time, her teeth have been worn away from the crowns, decay, and deterioration of the jaw bone/roots. She's down to four natural teeth on her upper jaw; two of these are severely deteriorated under their crowns, and one more is nearing that stage. Of course, one tooth left is more of a problem for prosthetic teeth, so her dentist and prosthodontist have recommended she get upper partials.

My question to all of you is this: what can I tell her that's positive about dentures, specifically upper dentures. I'm actually happy in a weird way for her; my whole life I can remember her having nothing but trouble with her upper teeth. Maybe this is where I get my fear of crowns! (hah!) Will this finally be a way for her to find some peace? Are there specific issues she needs to look at, or watch out for, while undergoing this process? What other things might happen once she gets the dentures?

Thanks everyone!
Sim

Old 07-31-2002, 03:06 PM   #2

Jim HB User
Hi;

Go with a full upper you will have less problems in the long run. Find a good dentist, ask around to people with full uppers, not all dentists are up to doing a good job. I have had full uppers for more than 42 years and am very happy with them, it will most likely cost less in the long run than a partial.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2002, 05:02 PM   #3

truefull HB User
Smile

I've had full uppers for about 9 years and love them. They stay in place and I can eat what ever I like. The best thing I ever did was get my painfull nasty teeth yanked. I've only had to have them re-fitted once. If she only has 4 teeth left she will have no trouble. Bet she feels better the day after the new denture than she does now with rotting teeth. Health wise she will enjoy food again instead of it being a chore to eat. I eat corn, steak, crush ice (I have full dentures so no heat or cold sensitivity). Bottom dentures are a little trouble but not bad. You'll see her smile allot more too!

Old 08-01-2002, 06:03 AM   #4

simmie HB User
Thanks guys!!

Someone else mentioned that it would make some fine lines/wrinkles go away on her upper lip; she seems really happy about that (no plastic surgery, either!) so I think the lack of pain would be a happy thing for her, too.

One question that she and I both have--what is the "normal" recovery time for something like this? She's having it done on a Friday and will be expected back at work on Monday--should she plan on taking Monday off? What can she do to expedite sounding more normal with her new teeth? Should she expect pain and sensitivity for any more than a few days after?

Old 08-01-2002, 08:07 PM   #5

wisdom HB User
My mom has upper dentures. She had a hard time at first because it was kind of painful and the adjustments were never fun, but now she has no problems. She is used to them and doesnt have to worry about rotting teeth or any more root canals (unless its on the bottom). She said the hardest thing to get used to was that you cant really feel food on the roof of your mouth. I dont know the recovery time, you may want to look that up. Go to *********** and do a search on denture recovery time, or something like that.

I hope your mom does well. Its something you have to get used to, but once your adjusted, you can get back to normal. Im sure she will feel much better.

Good luck to your mom.

-Wisdom

Closed Thread