It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2002, 01:12 PM   #1
(female)

emmab HB User
Post why are my teeth collapsing!!!

in the last month or so i have had three teeth chip after chewing hard food. one was a cracked filling, but the other two have been bits of tooth crack off. is there any reason why this is happening - i try to eat healthy and clean,floss etc. my motherinlaw says it is cos i have had three kids and close pregnancies affect your teeth - sounds a bit weird to me. is there anything i can do to not continue this - other than living on soup for the rest of my life!!!

Old 08-05-2002, 01:42 PM   #2
(female)

emmab HB User
just read another post from someone whose teeth crumbled ?due to acidity - in all of my pregnancies i have had severe heartburn, and am wondering if all that acid reflux could have hurt my teeth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2002, 07:40 AM   #3

simmie HB User
Emma,

I've been doing a lot of reading on this subject lately, because, like you, I'm on the young side (early thirties) to have crumbling teeth. Mine, unlike yours, are cracking vertically and decaying at an astounding rate. I don't eat much sugar or processed food, almost no candy, no soft drinks--I brush, floss, and use flouride. I haven't had children, but we do plan to--and I'm very worried about the effect it will have on my teeth.

Here's what I've read:

1) yes, pregnancies can dramatically affect your teeth--whether or not they are close together, although maybe close together can affect teeth more (cummulative effect)

2) the food you eat is terribly important in determining salivary acidity. Foods that are sugary or starchy or easily broken down into those components are much more likely to cause decay. Common foods like this? Potatoes, bananas, bread and crackers, anything with refined flours. As well, of course, as the obvious things like candy. Chocolate, however, seems to have some protective qualities (I guess minus the sugar...) Foods that are acidic (tomatoes, citrus, etc) also have some poor effects, but not as bad as sugar.

3) food like aged cheese, milk, yogurt, and nuts do not cause carious decay at nearly the same rate. Finishing a starchy meal (like spaghetti with tomato sauce) with aged cheese can mitigate some of the effects.

3) eating is better than continuous snacking. If you have acidic saliva, you are much better served by not eating constantly throughout the day and minimizing the amount of attack on your teeth. Constantly sipping beverages with sugar in them is a big no-no.

4) drinking enough water and getting enough calcium/magnesium is vitally important.

5) finally, make sure you brush and floss and rinse your mouth out after eating--every time.

Whew! It's a lot of stuff, but that's what I've read over and over and over.

Sim

Old 08-09-2002, 11:23 AM   #4

ethelreda HB User
The things I know that wreck your teeth are: tricyclic antidepressants and any other medication that dries your mouth. Drinking fizzy drinks, even diet drinks as the CO2 that makes them fizzy is partly dissolved to give carbonic acid, and.. having children, particularly if you are breastfeeding as you end up having to snack because you never get time to eat enough at meal times...anyone any suggestions on how to turn children off for 20 minutes?

Closed Thread