It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2002, 11:40 PM   #1
(female)

MelNor HB User
Post 9 Year Old Missing Adult Teeth?

I was horrified when I took my 9 year old daughter for her 6 month check up at the dentist last month! They done that full X Ray where the machine circles your head and they came out and asked me to come into the room to talk to them. They told me she was missing 7 adult teeth. Essentially, when her baby teeth fall out there is nothing to replace them. My poor little girl cried and was tramatized by the news. It was all so shocking to me I didn't even ask many questions about what they would do about it or what causes this??

Is this s birth defect...something I done wrong while I was pregnant for her?? I was so careful and healthy when I was pregnant...God I hope this wasn't my fault!

Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing or know what might be done for her??

Please give me some advise!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2002, 11:26 AM   #2

simmie HB User
Melnor,

It's probably nothing you did while you were pregnant; more likely it's genetic (which you couldn't change). It's not all that uncommon to be missing adult teeth Depending on what teeth your daughter is missing, the dentist may wait until her baby teeth naturally fall out and then fabricate a bridge or suggest dental implants. Implants, however, can't be placed until she stops growing. They do have a *very* high success rate--and look completely natural.

Sim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2002, 12:17 PM   #3

ethelreda HB User
I have quite a few missing adult teeth, it runs in my family. My cousin is missing 13 and had her milk teeth out at 18 and false teeth. That sounds awful...but I didn't know about mine until I was in my thirties. I still have two milk teeth. As I have lost teeth over time the remaining adult teeth have spread out to leave gaps. I'm not sure what I can do about this now. As most of my missing teeth are upper jaw at the front its fairly obvious. My cousins teeth look brilliant, and dental technology will be much better now than twenty years ago. Your daughters problem will not be obvious until she is older so you have time to plan. Tell her she's still beautiful!

Old 08-09-2002, 01:01 PM   #4

SherryElaine HB User
I had one tooth that did that. I was 35 and my eye tooth started coming in and I thought it was a piece of bone sticking out. Went to dentist and was told I still had baby tooth and the permanet one decided to come in at age 35. Dentist pulled out baby tooth and let new one procede to grow in. My sister had one baby tooth that never came out and finally had it pulled at age 30 something but she never got the adult tooth. You did not do anything to cause it. Just happens sometimes to some people. I know two women that are sisters and they both still have their baby teeth and never lost them and never got adult teeth and they are both in their 50's now and their teeth look normal and I would never have known about their teeth until they told me about it.

------------------

Sher

Old 08-09-2002, 03:42 PM   #5

Deb47 HB User
Talking

Hi, MelNor. This is a genetic problem. It runs in my family. My brother was missing at least 4 permanent teeth (that I know of; maybe more). My daughter also has a few permanent teeth missing. She is now 23; and so far, she hasn't lost those baby teeth. I have told her to be careful not to bite down on really hard foods. I don't know how long she'll be able to keep these "baby teeth" of hers; but so far so good. Talk to your daughter is a reassuring manner. She should not be worrying about this now. When, later down the road, if she looses these "baby teeth", she will deal with it. It'll be okay. My brother had bridges made...about 12 years ago; and he's not had any problems whatsoever. Your daughter can get implants; or whatever is right for her. I am sorry your little girl has this problem; but its not the end of the world. Please don't keep worrying that you might have done something wrong during your pregnany with her. Things just happen sometimes; no matter how careful we are. This will just be something she'll have to deal with. We all have our individual problems we must deal with in life...It'll be okay. Thank God your daughter doesn't have a serious medical problem...it could be worse. Deb47

Old 08-11-2002, 10:57 PM   #6

mushroom1 HB User
Hi, MelNor, My oldest child is missing one adult tooth. The dentist told her just to take care of it and it could last her whole life. Of course, it is her only tooth with a filling!

One is no big deal, but seven...that is a lot. I am sorry for your little girl.

I am sure it will all work out, though...they can do so much now days.

Good-luck to you and your young daughter.

Closed Thread