It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 01:00 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User
Has anyone ever adjusted their own dentures in a pinch?

I mean like with dremmels or I heard you coud mold them with hot water too. My husands dentist suggested the last one to him.
I would be afraid to try!!
Any of you guys dare it?
Why do they make them so lopsided and messed up,anyway??? Just seems like they slap the interims together with thin holes and plastic mising. barely holding the teeth! That's what I got for$350, anyway. Long down the gum on one side, short on the other, weird shapes, ect. I can not even wear them right now at all- toooo sore. Sigh....waaaaa!

Old 11-05-2005, 03:39 AM   #2
(female)

springflowers HB User
Lightbulb Re: Has anyone ever adjusted their own dentures in a pinch?

actually, I have heard from ppl i know that it is possible and they turn out ok after, but not as good as proffessionally done. (he used sandpaper and hot water from what i heard)...anyhow, what i was told last week or so when i had to have mine re adjusted, was that after so many months, (or if youve recently had surgery) your gums shrink, or sometimes resize., sometimes due to eating habits, (if you eat with or without them ect or use polygrip ect) all kinds of things can cause the dentures to need to be resized. actually, after having them re adjusted, (luckly enough I have medicaid or i would be lost without them lol)...they fit alot better, but they told me to come in in a nother month or so to get them re fitted, (if i needed to and they messed up somewhere because of other paitents they take care of too)...anyhow, when i watched them do mine, they used like a silicone pasty thing, and had me bite down into the mold, (Teeth were attached to molding), and i think it dries and hardens, and then they shave it down to the mold, (prolly where the sandpaper idea came in)...anyhow, I hope that helps, gl with the idea..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
Re: Has anyone ever adjusted their own dentures in a pinch?

My DH does it all the time. Anytime a sore spot comes up on his gums he (a little at a time) sands or scraps on the denture until it feels better. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

wintersun HB User

Thanks alot guys!! I have been very CAREFULLY fooling around with them. I have canker iike sores where my eye teeth were and cannot wear them at all rght now. (only been2 days)
Conversely, my sinuses cleared up tremendously!

Old 11-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

-CvC- HB User-CvC- HB User-CvC- HB User-CvC- HB User

I had sore spots from my eye teeth too. I just too some sand paper and sanded them down until it didn't hurt anymore. I've had to do that a couple times. Long as you're careful there shouldn't be a problem.

Closed Thread