It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2002, 09:46 AM   #1

zahnschmerzen HB User
Post root canal - underfill

Dear fellow sufferers,

After 8 appointments for one root canal, the pain in my upper molar finally went away, and the tooth was refilled. Problem: Now one of the roots is underfilled! And short fills are one of the reasons for eventual failure of a root canal. WRRRR.
I was sooo much looking forward to being done. My onlay appointment is scheduled for Tuesday.
I have no idea how to approach my endodontist that I am worried , since he has spent so much time (for free) on that one tooth. At the same time I don't want to spend another $900 for an onlay, knowing that there is a decent chance for failure (and we all know the cost/inconvenience of retreatments or apicos).
(The endo did tell me he thought it might be short, but of course, he probably has no desire to waste more time on me)

Old 08-17-2002, 07:06 PM   #2

simmie HB User
Zahn,

You didn't say, but what alerted you that it was an underfill? How frustrating (to put it really mildly)!!! I'd talk to the endo on the phone or in person before doing the onlay; a good endo isn't going to knowingly create a problem. Mine actually said to me, "I'd hate to have you put a crown on this and then have to come back in a year." I know it's aggrevating and frustrating and tiring, but fix it now if you are going to. Will you be worried about it if you don't go back for a re-treat? If so, I'd cancel with the prosthodontist, unfortunately. Think of it as a mental health issue as well as a dental one...didn't mean to rhyme there.

Sim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2002, 03:32 PM   #3

chica loca HB User
My endo has problems with one canal which didn't want to do anything right and was so meticulous about avoiding an 'underfill.' But, yeah, it is worth taking the extra time now, rather than risk placing your tooth in a situation to fail again(and mine already went that route)

And it's probably better to get it fixed b/f putting on a crown. Drilling through a crown produces the most hideous noise.

Old 08-18-2002, 07:09 PM   #4

fallllea HB User
READ MY POST_UNDER BIG PROBLEM WITH TOOTH WITH ROOT CANAL.READ READ READ -DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY.THIS IS SERIOUS AND EVERYONE BETTER TAKE NOTICE.******* ( RANDY )

Old 08-19-2002, 11:34 AM   #5

zahnschmerzen HB User
Thanks for your advice!!! I am going back to the endo Sept 11th (that feels a little weird). I guess my onlay will be postponed for another month.

Old 08-20-2002, 02:32 PM   #6

jazzlady60 HB User
Zahn:
I can relate to how you feel about spending so much time on a tooth but I agree that you should bite the bullet so to speak, and go back to get it fixed right. That is what you pay the endo for.
Jazzlady60

Old 08-20-2002, 08:33 PM   #7

fallllea HB User
sometimes biting the bullet can cause an blow- up.Do yo really think that just because the endo is paid that it is done right??????Yeah,Right.Listen to your body and mouth and if it does not feel right after a set reasonable time period,Watch out!!!!I don't care if they have been paid or not.Untill the problems get major everyone will sit in the gas chair and go along with the haed dmd or whatever.Go ahead and wait untill your jaw is taken apart and then kiss-up.Randy

Closed Thread