It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2002, 06:03 AM   #1
(female)

jwebb37 HB User
Post braces-how much

I am 29 years old and live in Georgia.I have been thinking about getting braces for I have an overbite.Could anyone put in there two cents on the price they were charged for braces?I dont have insurance that will cover this so I will have to pay cash.I know an ortho is the best person to ask but I just wanted other peoples views.

-Stephanie

Old 07-16-2002, 07:39 AM   #2

SherryElaine HB User
My braces cost about $4,000.00 for top and bottom, and that was 15 years ago. My insurance did not cover it either but orthodontist gave me a payment plan and I paid so much every visit and they were paid for by the time they were removed. Took two years for me. I am glad I did it. My teeth look great.

------------------

Sher

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2002, 06:18 PM   #3

jjayt HB User
The cost of the braces will depend upon the amount of work to be done. A simple 12 month minor crowding case will be a lot cheaper than a 36 month extraction case. Your best bet is to go for a consultation with several orthodontist. Many offer free consultations, so do some shopping around. Remember you will be dealing with these people for several years (braces then retainers) so be sure to pick an office you are comfortable with. Also make sure it is an orthodontist( a general dentist that has gone back to school to get his masters in ortho) not a general dentist who is just doing ortho work. One has gone to school for two years to learn the skill, and the other has gone to several weekend seminars.

Old 07-30-2002, 07:11 AM   #4

richdizz HB User
Mine were $5100 and I have to wear them for 20 months. $400 of that was to get clear braces (made by 3M). It really depends on the case. I remember finding a site on internet that gave you a orthodontic avg. cost based on geographic area (just be glad you don't live in NYC....avg. of $12,000!!!).

I agree with jjayt that you should see a real orthodontist. A good orthodontist will really get you on the right track. Braces may not even be an option for you....it is hard to treat adult bite problems with braces b/c adult jaws are done growing.

Old 08-16-2002, 11:43 PM   #5
(female)

Emma1983 HB User
I've got braces on at the moment and they cost $4000 for 2+ years of wearing them.

Old 08-21-2002, 10:56 AM   #6
(female)

Lyli HB User
Hi,

I live in Florida and am currently in braces. I had to wear an appliance for 6 months and now am in the braces. The total cost was $4200. It was not covered by insurance.

Old 08-21-2002, 12:18 PM   #7
Inactive

Jenna22 HB User
Unhappy

Hi everyone!

God,I thought i was the only person who is too old to wear braces but i'm glad there are a lot of other people too.I'm 23 years old and was didn't wear braces when i was 14,what a big mistake.Now i don't have dental insurance,but i do have a dental plan which covers half the prices of a full price of the most procedures.It is good.But i just moved to another city and have to find a new dentist and ortho.But the thing is when you use that plan you can only choose the doc that is using the plan too.I need to have my upper teeth straighten out,they are pretty bad,so i was thinking upper teeth with the metal brace and lower with the clear.The only thing i wonder will my speech sound funny when i talk?Anyone please reply and tell me about the speech.

Old 08-21-2002, 08:15 PM   #8
(female)

Emma1983 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Jenna22:
I need to have my upper teeth straighten out,they are pretty bad,so i was thinking upper teeth with the metal brace and lower with the clear.The only thing i wonder will my speech sound funny when i talk?Anyone please reply and tell me about the speech.
Your speech won't be effected...your teeth will be very sore though! I couldn't even eat a banana, after i got my braces on, so thats how much they hurt!

I would recommend getting top and bottom with clear or the top and bottom with metal. Don't get both types...it'll look weird.

Closed Thread