It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2002, 04:08 AM   #1

Sandrauk HB User
Unhappy IV SEDATION (Your help please)

Hi all

I have a dental phobia and had not visited the dentist in 15 years ( im 23) until January of this year. I am now on the road to recovery and have had 9 plastic coatings and had 4 fillings so far. I have 5 teeth that need to be removed some of which will need to be surgical removed dunno what they mean by that having a tooth out is having a tooth out choose how hard it is to remove. In the next couple of weeks I will be getting a letter to have these out under IV Sedation at a dental phobic clinic. The only time I have ever been knocked out was when I was a kid with Gas (they donít use that now its banned) and I was scared to death not a very nice experience. As any one had this IV sedation before if so how was it for you as im at my wits end. I have a phobia as it is and by the sounds of things its like a drip they put in your hand I hope I donít see it because that will cause me to have a panic attack and even faint. Did you recall any of the treatment once you was under IV sedation?
Any help will be well appreciated.
Kindest Regards
Sandra

Old 07-18-2002, 05:31 AM   #2

SherryElaine HB User
I had 4 wisdom teeth taken out while I was under IV sedation. Doctor put it in my arm "which I did not look at" and I fell asleep and I don't remember anything about the surgery removal of the teeth. Next thing I knew I was back at home laying down in bed. Of course I had to take some one with me to dental visit and they help me get in car and took me home but I don't rememebr any of it. Hope that helps.

------------------

Sher

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2002, 06:19 AM   #3
(female)

Jules211 HB User
Hi Sandra,

I can sympathize with your situation. I am a bit scared of dental work also, but I recently had to have two root canals and three wisdom teeth removed (all in a couple months!). After all that I am getting more used to it. For the wisdom teeth I opted for IV sedation, and I highly recommend it. I don't remember anything- it seemed like I was ony asleep for a few minutes and it was all over. After the procedure you are still groggy so you just sleep it off for a couple hours. Try to find a dentist who is very calm and puts you at ease- that can be really helpful also.

Good luck,
Jules

Old 07-18-2002, 09:37 PM   #4

dreamy-mad HB User
Hi Sandra,

You have absolutly nothing to worry about. I had 2 wisdom teeth taken out a few weeks ago and I was scared to death for nothing. I hate needles and I swear I didnt even feel it. It takes a few minutes for you to fall asleep. I just started feeling sleepy and then I woke up and felt nothing like the surgery never even happened. When its all over you'll see you had nothing to be scared about trust me

Old 07-20-2002, 03:33 AM   #5

Sandrauk HB User
Thumbs up

To all that have replied to me

Thanx you all so much for your kind words and letting me know how your experiences was having IV sedation. It really as helped me I think I will print your messages off so I can read them on my way to get my treatment. I donít have an appointment as of yet but they will be sending for me shortly. January of this year was my first appointment within 15 years (Im 23) so I had not been since I was a child. I had all horrible thoughts in my head what it would be like I had a picture in my head of the dentist room what it looked like but when I got there it was nothing like I had imagined. Just like if you go on holiday were you have never been before on your way there you have a picture in your head what it will look like but it never ever matches the one you have imagined in your mind. I have done really well so far in getting treatment and ive had 3 injections (My worst phobia injections)I never could imagine myself laying there and having an injection in my mouth. But there nothing just a tiny little scratch and thatís it. I feel so ashamed with myself for not going to the dentist because its not as bad as I had imagined. Now because of my fear I have to have loads of work done and 5 extractions but thatís my own fault for not facing upto my fear
I cant wait to get this IV sedation over and done with I guess its the fear of the unknown why im scared. I do feel positive now after reading your posts
Well I will let you know when I get my appointment and thankyou all for your support and thoughts.
Kindest Regards
Sandra

Old 07-22-2002, 12:50 PM   #6
(female)

Yekcoh4 HB User
Hello, I wanna jump in here =) I'm TERRIFED of needles, but I'd rather get a needle in my EYE than FEEL them taking my teeth out!! LOL. So, with the IV sedation...is it done in the dentists office or do you have to go to a hospital or anything? Is there anything else they do to you besides just stick you with the needle, put you to sleep and pull your teeth?(I'm TERRIFIED of all type of doctors and medical procedures!!!!)

[This message has been edited by Ange (edited 07-22-2002).]

Old 07-22-2002, 01:17 PM   #7
(female)

Jules211 HB User
Ange-

I had it done in my dentist's office. They just put in the IV (needle- don't look at it if you are scared), and within a few seconds you are out cold. You shouldn't feel anything at all- you're basically asleep.

Sandra-

I know exactly how you feel. I was told a few years back that I needed all kinds of dental work done. Well, not looking forward to it too much I kept putting it off until recently when I was in so much pain I had to go. I remember very well how terrified I was. Not knowing is a big part of it. I went in and they started telling me what I needed done- it was so much that it seemed like I couldn't go through with all of it and it was overwhelming. I started thinking I had every dental problem imaginable and they just hadn't told me yet! But you just have to take it one procedure at a time. Now when I go I'm not really afraid, because I have trust in my dentist- which you build over time if yours is good and you don't have too many complications. Anyway, you will be feeling so much better in no time!

Good luck, and let us know how everything goes,
Jules

Old 07-23-2002, 03:23 AM   #8

Sandrauk HB User
Ange-
I think I would rather have a needle in the back of my hand than in my eye lol
I have been told from this bored and from other people that once the IV sedation kicks in you dont feel or remember anything. I am having this done at a dental phobia clinic here in the UK there is not many clincs about what are qulified to do this procedure otherwise your local hospital will do it. A few months ago I could never imagined myself in the dental chair whilst an injection was coming towards me and going to be put into my gum I cryed like a baby for weeks before my appointment. The key is find a dentist what you can build trust with and work out a signal if you want your dentist to stop at any time such as putting your hand up. Keep your eyes closed at all times whilst having the injection and take deep breaths through your nose and let it out gentaly through your mouth. Its all about the fear of the unknown.
Hope this helps you in one way or another.
Kindest Regards :-)
Sandra

Old 07-23-2002, 10:06 AM   #9
(female)

Yekcoh4 HB User
Thanks! I dont have any dental work planned yet. But I had a wisdom tooth come in. It looks fine and it doesn't hurt, but I am preparing for the worst if the other 3 decide to show up! After hearing all the horror stories its SOO nice to hear some pleasant things! It really helps to hear it

Old 07-23-2002, 03:30 PM   #10

doe HB User
My daughter just had her 4 impacted wisdom teeth pulled and she is terrified of needles. She is 15 years old and last time she had blood drawn, she fainted. That's how upset she gets. She went to an oral surgeon for her wisdoms, they gave her a shot of "laughing gas" so she didn't even care about the needle. She is doing well and said it was a piece of cake. Good Luck.

Old 07-28-2002, 02:28 PM   #11

Clarita HB User
Smile

I had an implant done on one of my back teeth ( missing), I went the IV route because that is the ONLY way they can do that sort of surgery-- it WAS great!!!.

I should add that I have a history of panic attacks and that just to clean my teeth I get a valium before hand and gas. My teeth look great now.

Old 07-28-2002, 06:42 PM   #12

LibraryLynn HB User
I'll put my two cents in here too...I am a horrible dental phobe, and I had to have two wisdom teeth pulled in May. I'm 40 and the world's biggest baby when it comes to dentists and mouth stuff.

They gave me the laughing gas first, and they made sure I was good and relaxed. Then the nurse came in, told me to count to twenty-five. I only remember one and two...after that, they were waking me up. It was the only way to go, particularly if you're frightened of the procedure to begin with. It's easier for the dentist because you're not squirming and for you because you don't know and don't care what they're doing.

I don't remember a thing afterwards except waking up in the recovery room...the whole event didn't even take forty-five minutes from entering the office to leaving it.

Good luck! I'll think good thoughts for you.

Lynn

Old 07-30-2002, 03:39 AM   #13

Sandrauk HB User
Wink

Thankyou so much for sharing your experiencees and your thoughts with me. Hearing that people have been what I have soon to go through helps me so much its hard to explain. I really do hope that I have as good experience as you all have had. I have not got my appointment yet but will get the medical form sent to me very soon. Im going to make the appointment for september because im going on a holiday in Augest and I dont what a groggy mouth for that. I will let you know how I get on.
Thankyou once again for your support

Kindest Regards
Sandra

Old 08-21-2002, 01:36 PM   #14

BetaChiAngel HB User
Hi Sandra,
I just had a consultation with my oral surgeon today, and after talking to him and reading all the posts from these wonderful people, I am feeling so much better about the procedure. I have an appointment for next wednesday (aug 28) to get 7 teeth extracted, including all my wisdom teeth, and I'll be getting IV sedation. I will let you know how it goes, hopefully I'll have a good experience to report back to you

Old 08-22-2002, 04:34 AM   #15

Sandrauk HB User
Hello BetaChiAngel
Im so pleased for you :-)
I have got my appointment this morning its for the 30th of September at 1.30pm. I thought I would be really nervous when I found out the actual date to have the IV sedation but ive taken the news really well and in a strange way wish the appointment was for today to get it out of the way. I have been reasured that I will not see the injection (Its a really really tiny needle) but thats my phobia injections.
Im rerally looking forward to seeing your post to let me know how it went. I think we will be just fine and I bet when we have had it done we will wonder why we was scared in the first place. Just think once those nasty teeth have been removed we will never ever have to feel look at them ever again. I belive life is built upon memorys once I have this IV it will be just another day another memory to add to my collection lol
GOOD LUCK and well done for been so brave

Kindest Regards
Sandra

Closed Thread