It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2002, 01:04 PM   #1
Inactive

cutenbrat HB User
Post anyone never have wisdom teeth pulled

I haven't had my pulled, and my dentists says I might not have to-how common is this? I'm terrifed of the dentist and I don't know why-i never had a cavity, or braces or anythign like that, just cleaning, but I still can't stand them and I haven't gone back in a few years cuz i'm scared-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2002, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
as far as i understand a dentist will not remove them unless YOU are having problems. i am scared myself and ive just been more or less put down for it off another poster on another post( the one about not having pain in wisdom tooth coming through)l was advised to have mine out (impacted) but i didnt,one has come through although i admit when it did i had some bother but its been through for about 16 year and i get no bother my 2nd one has gave me a few problems but its almost through like your self i havnt needed anything major done to my teeth either i take real good care of them religiously.take care good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2002, 05:33 PM   #3
(female)

bunny byron HB User
There seem to be 2 schools of thought on the necessity of having wisdom teeth removed. Some say they should come out before they cause inevitable problems. Others say leave them in until they cause a problem, which could be never. Don't know how common it is to leave them, but I have been alive for over 3 decades and still have one left. My mother is over 70 and just had her first one removed last year.

Old 06-07-2002, 07:30 PM   #4

JudyB1963 HB User
Nicesy
I think you misunderstood my post. I DID NOT PUT YOU DOWN FOR NOT GETTING YOUR WISDOM TEETH OUT. My comments were addressed to the fact that you said that you hated the dentist and "it would take a bullet to get me to go back." My comments mentioned regular dental care. I also said that people should not get their wisdom teeth out if they are OK. A person needs to visit a dentist to determine if a wisdom tooth needs to come out. You said that all of your wisdom teeth were impacted and you left them alone. If they were "impacted" they would not come through. I have looked in three different dental dictionaries and all three of them indicated that an "impacted" tooth would not properly erupt. You seem to be giving the advice that if you ignore "impacted" teeth that they will be OK. I was trying to point out that if a tooth is actually "impacted" it will not come through and neglecting it will only make it worse. I also tried to get people to see that NOT EVERYONE HAS PROBLEMS WITH GETTING THEIR WISDOM TEETH OUT.

Old 06-07-2002, 07:37 PM   #5

JudyB1963 HB User
I think part of the problem is that people use the term "impacted" to mean "has not come through." That is incorrect. If a tooth is actually "impacted" it is unable to come through correctly. I checked this in three different dental dictionary's The proper term for "has not come through yet" is "unerupted."

An IMPACTED wisdom tooth needs to be removed.

Old 06-08-2002, 04:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wink

im not telling anyone to suffer http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif MINE WAS IMPACTED http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif it all depends upon the severity of the impact
i chose this way I never told anyone to just ignore the fact go reread you will see this is because of my fear something your NOT gonna be able to change, we all know there better off out if there bothersome, once again there are different degrees of impactation obviously with my 1st tooth it mustnt of been too bad http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif with my 2nd it has taken a long time about 2 year to reach the stage its at now, some people would rather have them out than have the pain etc ive had well thats there choice i can cope... for now, like i also said 1 day i will have no choice BUT to have them out, i still have 2 that havnt grown yet and i hope they dont http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif you know i dont enjoy this problem... its no pleasure http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

[This message has been edited by niecsey (edited 06-08-2002).]

Old 06-08-2002, 07:00 PM   #7

JudyB1963 HB User
If a tooth is impacted there is something preventing it from coming though. If you leave an impacted tooth alone it will not come through, it is being obstructed. You still seem to be confusing "unerupted" (has not come through yet) with impacted. An unerupted tooth does not necessarily have anything in the way blocking it from coming through and can eventually work its way through. An impacted tooth can not come through. Here are some definitons of "impacted" as it relates to teeth. I will be more then happy to provide you with more.

(1)A tooth that is blocked by an adjacent tooth preventing it from erupting the surface of the gum. An impacted tooth may push other teeth together or damage the bony structures supporting the adjacent tooth.

(2)a : packed or wedged in b : deeply entrenched : not easily changed or removed
of a tooth : wedged between the jawbone and another tooth

(3)impaction:
partial or completely unexposed tooth that is wedged against another tooth, bone, or soft tissue, precluding the eruption process.

Old 06-09-2002, 08:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wink

yep like i said http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif its taking some coming through thats why its took 2 year to get the stage its at http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif i can live with it for now like I SAID http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif
it is coming through in the position its been allowed im not sitting with a pile of books picking bits out to put on here its my experience not some books

[This message has been edited by niecsey (edited 06-09-2002).]

Topic now closed ok understand that??? your not in my mouth so you no nothing about it CLOSED http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

[This message has been edited by niecsey (edited 06-09-2002).]

Old 07-29-2002, 05:15 PM   #9
(female)

Sehsun HB User
Question

I am 17 years old, and I have all four of my wisdom teeth, although I can't see the two bottom ones. Dentists & orthodontists have told me that my mouth was small. I had to get braces because my mouth was small and my teeth would grow in crooked because there was no room for them. I have no pain. Will I have to get my wisdom teeth removed? Sometimes I hear that you can get them out even if they aren't bothering you yet.

Old 08-24-2002, 01:19 PM   #10

sally2 HB User
Well, I have all my wisdom teeth in since my 20s
and that was years (and years!)ago. At one point I did ask a dentist: My mouth's crowded somewhat, should they come out.? His answer was something--there's no reason, you might even need them someday. To me, this seemed like a
good, conservative reply , 'conservative', in the best sense of the word.

Old 08-24-2002, 02:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

l see the 'good old topics' up and running again lol, if there not causing any problems a dentist wont want to take them out good luck guys

Closed Thread