It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2002, 12:54 PM   #1

donald456 HB User
Angry molar extraction other teeth will move?

Hi-- I saw my dentist today -he insists on extracting my 2nd molar on the upper jaw # 15 --of course I'm very reluctant. It isn't in great shape but it's solid and functional. But here's my main concern I said i just had my wisdom tooth removed in back of this one a few months ago-- and was assured that tooth migration was of no concern--but he claims removing the 2nd molar will not be a cause of concern on the issue of possible tooth moving , migrating . I find this very hard to believe ---I told him I wanted to wait till I had enough to cover an implant --but he's trying to be a tough guy and says that he refuses to do any work on any other teeth till I extract this # 15 --even a filling he refuses to do--grrr --he's way outta line in my opinion - . I have to go to this clinic at this time because it's basically free - I have no alternative at this point--My main ? is will removing a 2nd molar - put the surrounding teeth at risk of moving thus setting a whole cascade of doom into motion.

Old 08-16-2002, 05:49 AM   #2

simmie HB User
Donald,

You didn't say why your dentist is so insistent about removing the tooth. If it's not infected or cracked, what is his reason?

If you are uncomfortable with a dentist *for any reason* you should find another one, at least for a second opinion. It sounds like you are very uncomfortable with this dentist. Be careful!!! Many dentists will do free consultations if you let them know in advance that it is for a second opinion. Maybe you could find another dentist to ask. At least then, if the tooth does need to come out, you'll know for sure. I'd also not extract the tooth without a plan in place to keep your teeth in their normal spaces. Unless, of course, it's very painful or terribly infected; that could cause other health problems, like kidney and heart trouble. But from what you've said, it's not the case.

Good luck!

Sim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2002, 06:37 AM   #3

Subie HB User
Hi Donald,

I have the same question as Simmie. What is the reason behind why your dentist insists that you have this tooth pulled??

Also because it's your second molar, I don't believe any shifting will take place. And it being an upper molar it won't effect the bottom molar so I don't "think" you have anything to worry about with regards to shifting.

Good luck! I would still get a second opinion!

Old 08-26-2002, 07:26 PM   #4
(female)

lola32 HB User
Same here, extraction is only an option if there is no other option or finances play a role. your teeth won't shift since it is an upper tooth. But you will lose function of any tooth under the one being pulled since it won't have anything to bite against. Therefore, if it has an opposing tooth, you'll not only lose the one but also lose use of another.

Closed Thread