It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2002, 10:06 AM   #1

jimschnell HB User
Post had surgery on tooth # 8 monday 6 pm

had an apicoectomy on a tooth due to seler that went beyond the root and was casuing inflammation and pressure pain

my lip is very sore and is still quite swollen
i have canker sores under the lip and it looks like a stitch...
also my mouth throbs (no pain) whenever i move around

in general is this normal for healing
does the lip need to be cut or stitched during this procedure

what is the healing time on an apico in general

will get the stitches out on monday, till then can someone give me any advice

thank you

Old 08-03-2002, 06:02 AM   #2

simmie HB User
Jim,

I've never had an apico, but it might well be in my future....

Please read my reply to you under Root Canal Longevity--I'm glad you're feeling better now; I wrote about the advice my mom's team of dental folks gave her re: continuing sinus troubles.

Simmie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2002, 11:37 PM   #3

jazzlady60 HB User
Jim:

Hope you are feeling better real soon. This tooth stuff is no fun. My second part of the root canal will be next week. It took eight injections before I was numb the first time. So.....I can 't wait till part two. My tooth is still hurting but better than before. Hope you are not in too much pain.
Jazzlady60

Old 08-27-2002, 05:14 PM   #4
(female)

lola32 HB User
Hello, everything you describe sounds pretty normal. During an Apicoectomy, the dentist make a small incision in the tissue closest to the tip end of the root. Hence the stitch or two. Next he/she will take away enough bone in front of the root to gain accsess to the root tip. The infectious tissue is removed, usually with a curette that scrapes it away and then the opening in the tip of the root is filled with some form of filling material using a tiny instrument. As far as the feeling you get when you move, I imagine it is just tender and the vibration from moving is more noticeable. Considering the area of the procedure, you can understand why you lip would be sore. As for the canker sores, they probably came on as a result of stress to the tissues being pulled, etc.. Many people with a history of cold sores will get them after dental procedures just because it aggravates the tissue a little. Hope I helped.

Closed Thread