It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2002, 02:46 PM   #1

Bchamp HB User
Post Can a dead tooth hurt?

Hi all, new to board,
Hope someone can give me some advice.
Six months ago, I was told that my bottom left front molar was dead. No pain, so I left it alone and got a root canal on opposite side of mouth. Month ago, 1/2 back of dead tooth falls out. Still no pain. Today, alot of pain, tooth is hurting.
Do I go back to a dentist or oral surgeon, and if they pull it, what can they put in other than a bridge .
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Barb

Old 07-31-2002, 09:59 AM   #2

Subie HB User
Hi,
I believe the only other option other than a bridge would be to have an implant. I am in the same situation and had my first bottom molar pulled about four months ago. I still have a lot of other dental work to be done before I decide to go the bridge or implant way. My teeth are very problematic and it scares me to have two teeth shaved down for a bridge, but then I think.......I'm sure those two teeth will cause me problems later in life so why not just have them shaved down and crowned for the bridge. UGH! Good luck with your decision

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2002, 05:25 PM   #3
(female)

lola32 HB User
The pain is coming from an infection that will bring down your immune system, leave you susceptible to other nasties and will only go away when your body takes care of it or you take antibiotics. But, as long as you leave that tooth in there it will continue to be a problem. Go to your oral surgeon if you have one or to you regular dentist. If the tooth isn't to beat up you may be able to save it with root canal and a crown. There are a lot of alternatives so that would be something only your dentist can tell you because only he will know the true nature of the problem and what can be done. Regardless of your choice, see the dentist so he can take help you decide. If you only want it out, tell him so. make no apologies. He/she should not hold your decision against you or think any less of you. keep in mind that infection can a lot of time counteract the anesthesia, so you may want to take a round of antibiotics to kill the infection and then have it extracted. I hope this helped!

Closed Thread