It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2002, 07:42 AM   #1

Stacey1111 HB User
Question bleeding gums and smoking

I smoke about a pack a day and have bleeding gums when brushing/flossing. My dentist told me that my bleeding gums are due to smoking and so I'm really trying to quit. (not easy!)He said something that really bothered me which was a lot of people who have bleeding gums can bleed for no appearant reason. Is this true? I haven't noticed my gums bleeding unless I'm only brushing but I was wondering if anyone else on this board had a problem where they bleed for no reason at all. I'm really self-conscience of this now and am constantly examing myself to make sure that my mouth doesn't resemble Count Dracula!

Old 08-29-2002, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

lola32 HB User
Stacey,
I am a certified dental assistant and bleeding gums is not normal. A lot of people may have a spot or two that bleeds but not on it own. Bleeding gums mean that they are inflamed and that is not normal. If you continue to floss correctly it should go away but flossing has to be done correctly and regularly to toughen the gums, get them healthy and prevent bleeding. As for smoking, quitting is good but one of my co-workers smokes probably the same amount or more and her gums do not bleed. But if you are to a certain stage of gingivitus (early stages of gum disease) or beyond, it may be hindering your efforts to reverse the bleeding. Good Luck, hope I could help. Lola

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2002, 08:13 AM   #3

SherryElaine HB User
I used to have bleeding gums for years and was going regularlly to dentist. They would bleedd when I brushed my teeth and bleed when I smiled. I finally changed dentist and was told I had gum diease and was sent to a peridontist and he fixed me up with a deep scaling and gum graft's and taught me proper way to clean and floss. I always wondered why prevous dentist never caught it or told me. I could have lost all my teeth due to this. Sometimes it is best change dentist or get second opinons.....

------------------

Sher

Closed Thread