It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2002, 01:08 AM   #1

psychosmurf317 HB User
Question Torus?

Hello all. For awhile now I've had what I call "ridges" on my gums...top and bottom, although on the top, they seem normal and smooth. On the bottom, they are bumpy, quite large, maybe even still growing, and painful.

It appears to be bone, and from what someone else said, and some research I was doing, I'm thinking its torus, exostosis...but I don't know that much about it? The thing is, what I've seen said that it's not painful and that it's not necessary to do anything about it.

But in my case, it's extremely painful. I also have TMJ and it seems that if it's not my jaw killing me, then its these ridges that are hurting. Sometimes it feels like the bones are going to break through the skin. Right now though, I can't afford to see a dentist. I was wondering if someone could tell me if they have any idea whats wrong, and also, if it's important/urgent for me to see someone about it?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-Tonya

Old 08-21-2002, 08:06 PM   #2

lorrib HB User
If you have medical insurance call an oral surgeon and tell them you are in pain it may be covered under you medical

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2002, 11:26 AM   #3

freddy HB User
I also have a torus.Mine is on the roof of my mouth and it is huge. I thought it was normal till I had to have dentures and it is in the way! I had special dentures made but may have to have my "tori bone" removed. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't cuz I'm scared. In my family, this bone is hereditary. I wouln't worry about it unless you were in alot of pain,but it never hurts to get it checked out if you can, so you don't have problems further on down the road like I did.

Old 08-26-2002, 07:01 PM   #4
(female)

lola32 HB User
What you have definatley sounds like Tori, or exostosis if it is upper and next to your cheek. They only have different names because of the area. Lower Tori are usually under the tongue area. It is nothing more than extra bone growth and harmless. Tori in the roof of the mouth are extremely common and vary in size from hardly noticable to very large, which is no problem unless you ever need a denture, then it inhibits the suction and therefore fit of the denture. If they are sore, it may be because they are so large or that you eat foods that irritate the tissue. Nachos an be an enemy. Basically the only cure is to surgically remove it, and that is no guarantee that they won't grow back. It all depends on how they affect your quality of life. Removal is definately something to think about in the future if they continue to be a problem.

Old 08-26-2002, 08:39 PM   #5

psychosmurf317 HB User
Question

I'm noticing that everything says tori or exostosis is in the upper part of the mouth, of under the tongue...well, I do have smaller tori on the upper gums, on the outside though, not the roof of my mouth, and I do have them under my tongue...

But the most noticable, and the most painful, are on the sides, but the front of my gums, under the teeth area. They're bumpy, and the skin seems tight over them, like it make break through at any time.

Do you still think it's the same thing?

Thanks,

Tonya

Old 09-01-2002, 12:43 PM   #6
(female)

lola32 HB User
Yes it probably is the same. YOu can have them in several areas and the names they are given aren't that important, it's just a location thing and has nothing to do with anything else. It isn't plain why this happens. AS i said it is nothing more than extrs boney growth that you don't need but is usually no harm. In your case if they are a constant bother you may consider having them removed. It is usually a fairly simp;e thing to do and you will heal quickly. Soft tissue is amazing at healing itself. Warm salt water rinses may help you with soreness. If I were you I would discuss it with your dentist and tell him your desire to have them removed and would prefer to see an Oral surgeon for the work, that way if you want to be sedated youcan. A general dentist is not allowed to provide sedation.

Closed Thread