It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2002, 05:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Post Question about teeth/jaws

When you've got your mouth closed, do your lower front teeth touch the back of your upper front teeth or is there a space between them? And how far do your upper front teeth come down over your lower front teeth? And when your mouth is closed, do you bite together or is there a space?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2002, 07:45 PM   #2
(female)

lola32 HB User
Shakira,
Ideally your lower teeth should touch the backs of your upper teeth when closed and the upper teeth should cover approximately half of you lower teeth. And yes when you bite down your teeth should touch but in a certain way. Your teeth have peaks and valleys and when you bite the peaks should rest in the valleys. Not peaks touching peaks. There are four classifications of bite but it would take a visual to determine which you have. Hope I could help Lola

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2002, 01:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Thanks Lola. Someone else told me your upper teeth should come down a third of the way down your lower teeth.

When I said: When your mouth is closed, do you bite together or is there a space?, I meant when you close your mouth, when you relax your jaw, are you supposed to bite together or leave a gap? Or is either normal?

Old 09-01-2002, 01:35 PM   #4
(female)

lola32 HB User
In a relaxed state your teeth will not meet. If they do you are not relaxed and may be clenching without being aware. But definately, if you are relaxed and not using your mouth, your muscles are relaxed and have no need to bring your teeth together.

Old 09-01-2002, 02:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Thanks again Lola. One more question:

When you say the upper teeth should cover approximately half of you lower teeth, is that when you bite together or relax your jaw?

Old 09-02-2002, 08:52 AM   #6
(female)

lola32 HB User
Your Welcome! When you bite together. And it could be 1/3 to 1/2. If your front teeth are covered when you bite you have a severe overbite. If they aren't overlapped at all you have severe underbite. Then there is also overjet plus other things but it would take a while to describe all of them. Usually at your first visit to the dentist they make a record of your bite. Next time you go, ask them. If it is bad enough, they would have brought it to your attention already. At least they should. Lola

Old 09-02-2002, 01:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User
Thank you! My upper teeth cover about half my lower teeth and my dentist hasn't said anything about my bite, so I guess it's not that bad. But I don't think my jaw comes out far enough (top and bottom). I don't fancy the idea of jaw surgery, though!

Closed Thread