It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2002, 12:30 AM   #1

manzo HB User
Post part of my back tooth broke off. Please help

Hi everyone. Well my insurance plan begins next week, and just in time. Today I was eating some spare ribs and a bit into a small chunk of the rib-bone and a portion of my tooth broke off!! Its not the wisdom tooth but the one right in front of it, I'm not sure what the name is.

Well, even with my mouth closed I can feel the sharp edges of the tooth with my tongue. I think I had a filling in that tooth, but if the filling was formed by a single hole on top of the tooth, then now its ruin I guess, because a healthy portion is broken off.

The funny thing is my tooth doesnt hurt at all. Even if I drink cold water or eat food on that side, it doesnt hurt. Although every now and then it stings a slight bit if I keep poking my tongue in that area.

Any advice? Obviously the dentist is the best solution, but is this bad? What is the solution to my situation? I'm not familiar with all the dentist terminology. I'm worried because of the fact that the break is on the inside portion of the tooth, not only the top. I'd say a corner, maybe 1/5 of the tooth has broken off.

Also, is my situation pricey?

Old 09-05-2002, 07:16 AM   #2

india22 HB User
Of course you should see your dentist right away, depending on how much of the tooth was broken off would be determined by him. You'll definitely need a crown, but if you let the tooth go like that for too long it will continue to break off, causing you to have to get gum work (crown lengthening) by a periodontist, before your dentist can crown the tooth. That's when it can get pricey and more time consuming.

It depends on your insurance and how much your dr. charges when it come to all procedures. For my crowns, my out of pocket expense is approx. $250.00/per tooth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2002, 06:31 PM   #3

manzo HB User
so how does the crown work? my tooth has a portion broken off on the corner, so if a crown were in place, i wonder how its going to fit over the broken tooth?

Old 09-06-2002, 06:49 AM   #4

india22 HB User
That's why a dr.has to decide how much of the tooth is broken off & how far down to the gum line. If it's all the way down to the gum line a Periodontist has to perform a crown lengthening (I'm not sure what exactly happens, but I've had one done), I think they take away some of the bone to expose more of the tooth so that the base of the tooth is more exposed, which is need for a crown to "hook" on to the tooth

Then when you go to your regular dentist he files/shapes down the tooth (drilling) so its really small/short & thin (almost spikey looking) so the crown can be placed over. First you get fitted (they take a mold of that side of your mouth using a tray of gooey stuff) for a temporary crown then a few weeks later the permanent crown gets placed.

Old 09-06-2002, 07:43 AM   #5

manzo HB User
oh man...how much do periodontists usually charge for this procedure?

Old 09-06-2002, 09:05 AM   #6

india22 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by manzo:
oh man...how much do periodontists usually charge for this procedure?
My out of pocket expense was approx. $170

Closed Thread