It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2002, 01:06 PM   #1

*Cat* HB User
Question Pain in mouth a week after filling.....

Hi

I had a horrid experience with a dentist a week ago, which included him putting a composite filling in my furthest back top molar. It was not a large filling, from what I have been told. (The horrid experience with him is way too long to get into!)

Anyways, my mouth is still inflamed but clearing up. The problem is after about 4 or 5 days I started feeling a lot of throbbing in my jaw right next to my ear and pain across the top gums towards my front teeth. My filling seems to be ok, no pain from eating, or any hot or cold sensitivity.

I have never experienced a feeling like this in my life. The dentist was very rough in my mouth and with my face, so I've been very upset lately. I grind my teeth unfortunately as well, and have been doing it more lately because of the anxiety.

Sorry this is long. Any ideas on what might be going on? My doctor thought TMJ disorder, but I don't know enough about it and question the work of this dentist.

Thanks for reading this!!

Cat

Old 09-09-2002, 04:14 PM   #2
(female)

lola32 HB User
Sounds like muscle spasm and build up of lactic acid which will cause very sore "cheeks" And maybe the grinding is not only aggravating this but may be the source of the "ear" pain since the jaw joint lays beneath the ear. If you put your ring fingers in your ears and open and close your mouth several times you will feel where this joint is located and understand why it hurts where it does. The first thing you need to do is apply warm moist heat to the sides of your face 10 minutes on, ten off, repeat. Try a wet cloth with a heating pad over it. This should help but you will have to do it as often a day as you can for a few days. Also start doing stretch exercises. Just slowly open your mouth as wide as you can and slowly close. Stretch your mouth open like a cat would arch its back. Very slowly. Do this in between warm moist heat and in a week you should notice improvement. If not you may need to have something made called a NTI to wear at night to keep you from grinding. NTI stands for Nocioceptive Trigeminal Inhibitor. It fits over your front two teeth and is worn to bed. A regular mouth guard won't help because you will still grind, you'll just be doing it on a nightguard instead of your teeth. Hope I could help. Lola

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2002, 05:45 PM   #3

*Cat* HB User
Thumbs up

Thank you so much! You were a HUGE help! I will definately give your ideas a try, it cannot hurt!! I'm seeing a new dentist who is highly recommended on Wednesday to make sure the dental work is ok. I will find out about the device you mentioned.

Thank you!

Cat

Old 09-11-2002, 11:42 AM   #4

*Cat* HB User
Thumbs up

Hi!

I talked to the new dentist(who was wonderful), and he knew all about the NTI device. He is fitting me for one He believes that will save my jaw from all the pain, and save my teeth from me grinding them away!

So, thank you again! I just wanted to update you

Cat

Closed Thread