It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2002, 01:36 AM   #1

indsey HB User
Lightbulb wisdom tooth is a bad neighbor

I am 21. When I was 18 I was told my wisdom teeth were impacted. However this year tooth #1(upper right) erupted. Unfortunately molar #2(the one in front of it) cracked in half during this process. Now the dentist wants to pull #1 and crown #2. #1 is perfectly healthy and I dont see why the dentist wants to pull the healthy tooth and crown the cracked tooth? does this sound right?

[This message has been edited by indsey (edited 08-22-2002).]

Old 08-23-2002, 04:05 PM   #2

lorrib HB User
See an oral surgeon before you do anything

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2002, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

lola32 HB User
it depends on the position of #1. If it is sideways and will not continue to erupt and take the place of #2 then you have no choice. And #2 should really stay to get the best use of the tooth under it. Wisdom teeth tend to be much smaller in size than other molars. Your dentist must have good reasons, ask him what they are and go from there. If #2 can be fixed with a crown, it isn't bad enough to pull.

Old 08-30-2002, 12:43 PM   #4

chica loca HB User
I had one wisdom tooth erupt, perfectly straight, but lost it b/c it was so difficult to keep clean, floss b/c of the way it was tucked next to the molar. It abcessed, gave me a hell of a toothache and had to be pulled. Even when wisdom teeth come in straight, they can cause problems. Partly, b/c often there is no opposing tooth below or above them. Or they might come in as 'soft' teeth(which I think is what happened with mine) So if the dentist wants to pull it, it might be for a very good reason. Maybe you should talk it over and ask all your questions about the tooth and see what happens.

Old 09-02-2002, 01:22 PM   #5

indsey HB User
Thank you for your responses! I have spoken to my dentsit and an oral surgeon. Both basically stared at me looking confused. They couldn't/wouldn't understand why I would want to keep the wisdom tooth for any reason and both said "traditionally" that is not what is done.
ChicaLoca what is a "soft tooth"?

I would like to know from anyone who has had a crown: did the crowned tooth ever become infected, what type of crown did you get, did the crown damage the opposing tooth or neighboring teeth, if you had to get the crown replaced how long did it last, and finally do crowns feel smooth against your toung like natural teeth?Any other info/advice anyone can give me about crowns will be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by indsey (edited 09-02-2002).]

Old 09-11-2002, 04:02 PM   #6

neicy HB User
Dear Indsey,

In response to your question about crowns, I have two crowns both in rear molars. One I had pulled this week because decay got underneath. Had it for about 15 years though the other one seems fine for now, the are smooth and comfortable or should be. However I wouldn't have another one crowned without root canal first, because about a year after each crown, I needed root canal on both teeth, and crowns cannot be reused. So had to pay for crowns twice. Good luck to you this dental stuff is no fun, I am so upset about extractions I just had.

Closed Thread