It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2002, 11:02 AM   #1

BetaChiAngel HB User
Talking Sandra, Niecsey, IleneK...It's done!!!

First of all I'd like to thank you Sandra for that wonderful post wishing me luck....I read it this morning just before going to the oral surgeon and it really lifted my spirits! I tried to reply but something with my computer messed up..

Well I finally did it and it went great! What a relief to finally have it finished. I was soooo nervous at the office before the procedure, I didn't think I'd be able to go through with it. As soon as I sat in the chair though, the dental assistants were so wonderful, and comforted me as they put on the heart monitors and a few other gadgets. They wanted to use laughing gas to take off the edge before they started the IV, but I opted not to get that, so they just put a mask on with oxygen.

Sandra, I know your phobia is needles, and I assure you that you will barely even feel it! I just layed back, closed my eyes, and there was the tiniest little sting on my hand that lasted for about 2 seconds. They inject the novacaine after you're already sedated, so you wont even feel that or be aware that they are doing it.

Niecsey, like you I was absolutely paranoid about the "out of it" or possibly panicy feeling that I thought I'd experience as the IV takes effect. Not only did I NOT feel that way, it was actually a very pleasant feeling! Literally 10 seconds after they started the IV, I was completely out. Like IleneK mentioned in her post, you don't get dizzy or feel strange, you just drift off. It is absolutely wonderful for people like us who suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.

Ilene, I'd also like to thank you for posting your experience with IV sedation...it really helped to put my mind at ease. I would have been such a basket case if I hadn't heard about someone else's positive experience!

I hope I've put your minds at ease and I'll keep you all updated on my recovery!

Pam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2002, 06:37 PM   #2

IleneK HB User
I am so, so proud of you. You reacted the same way I did when I went. That iv sedation is great.

------------------
Ilene
You have one life to live, live it to the fullness.

Old 09-02-2002, 06:39 AM   #3

Sandrauk HB User
BetaChiAngel
Well Done

I am so pleased for you I bet it feels like the world as been lifted off of your sholders. I will do the same as you when they put the IV in me I will lie back and close my eyes and driffed off into the sleepy world. How long did your procedure take? and how long did it feel like you was there for?
In a funny wierd way im looking forward for my appointment coming up but at the same time still scared. But I do relise that it is normal to be scared again (Fear of the unknown).
Once I have got my teeth sorted out I am going to make sure that I never ever miss a dental appointment again.
You are very brave BetaChiAngel you have done so well. I bet your boyfriend is so proud of you. Just think the IV and treatment you have had is just memorys now and you will never have to look and feel them nasty teeth ever again.
GOOD ON YA

Kindest Regards
Sandra

Old 09-03-2002, 09:34 PM   #4

BetaChiAngel HB User
Smile

Hi again

Thank you both for your kind words. I still have some minor dental work to go through (few fillings, finish a root canal), but I really do feel like the world has been lifted off my shoulders. I never thought I'd be able to go through this procedure, and to be honest I would have put if off forever if I wasn't in so much unbearable pain.

Sandra I know exactly what you mean about taking good care of your teeth from now on- believe me I'll be going in for cleanings every 6 months for the rest of my life! I can honestly say that I no longer have a fear of going to the dentist like I have for the last 10 years.

Of course you are going to have that fear of the unknown no matter how much anyone tries to reassure you, but that is completely normal, and being able to conquer that fear once the procedure is over will make you an even stronger person- I know I am.

From the time I sat in the chair to the time it was all over, it took a little over an hour, but once the IV was started, it felt like I'd been there for like 5 minutes. I don't remember a single thing about the procedure, it was like I closed my eyes then woke up a few minutes later. Now a week later, I have absolutely no pain and I'm healing wonderfully. I am very anxious to hear how your procedure goes, so please do keep us updated! In the mean time, enjoy the time you have now and try to keep your mind off of it, and I know you will be just fine

Pam

Old 09-12-2002, 12:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
well done http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif im really pleased for you http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif sorry i just found post today thank god no more suffering for you youve really made my day well done il bear all youve said in mind.......yes im still scared stupid i no but>>>>>> thats life aint it?? one day i will have to go though, did you feel panicy at them puttin heart monitors on? that would freak me, id think aye aye somink could happen here lol did u feel anxious when they were dorting u out??? did you have it done on dentists office or did u go to the dental hospital??? please reply soon well done and goood luck http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 09-13-2002, 07:55 AM   #6

BetaChiAngel HB User
Smile

Niecsey, my fellow dental phobic/panic sufferer

To be honest, my heart was pounding as they put the monitors on...but that was for about 1 minute. They just put one on each wrist, and something on the end of my left pointer finger. They immediately gave me oxygen and did the injection, so from the time I sat in the chair to the time I fell asleep, it was only a few minutes. If you think during that time you may get too panicy, they can give you laughing gas, but I opted not to get that and I was absolutely fine.

My biggest fear was that I would feel strange, wierd, dizzy, etc. as the medication took effect, but I felt NONE of that. I assure you, it's a nice relaxing feeling, and it lasts about 10 seconds. Thats all I remember, then I woke up and felt wonderful, still relaxed from the valium in the IV.

My regular dentist referred me to an oral surgeon, and I had the procedure done there. I was scared of the term "oral surgeon", but it was just like a regular dentist's office, with some extra supplys. Hope this answers your questions.

Old 09-13-2002, 10:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
well done betachiangel http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif and thank you from the bottom of my heart.........still not ready to go yet lol

Closed Thread