It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2002, 08:26 PM   #1

Deb47 HB User
Post Referred Tooth Pain Question

Hi there! I had a root canal done today (so far so good), but another root canal I had done last December still bothers me. I thought it might be my bite (I had a bridge above it put on, and part of the bridge hit this bottom root canaled tooth wrong). I have had my bite adjusted 4 times. Now, its definately not hitting this bottom tooth! My Endondtist thinks I am having referred pain...the real culprit could be 2-3 other possible teeth. How can I find out which tooth is causing this referred pain? How long can referred pain last, before the real "culprit" tooth is identified? I'm scared: will I have to get several root canals done, to try and find out if one of these teeth is what is causing this old root canaled tooth to hurt? My Endondtist I went to today; he did this other root canal also, and he said it looks fine to him....Thanks in advance! Deb47

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2002, 12:22 PM   #2

chica loca HB User
I had a similar problem once. The dentist did tests on every tooth in that area, sensitivity, bite. But, in that case, when it was narrowed down to two, the dentist administered novocaine in the most suspicious one, and it was that tooth. Though the other one did need a root canal soon afterwards.

I had a similar problem at the dentist yesterday, and they re-tested each tooth(three) and re-examined x-rays an were finally able to find the culprit. Whih was not the tooth that I thought was sensitive.

Luckily, it wasn't as bad as previously thought and a filling suffice.

Sometimes sinus pain can cause similar symptoms so that has to be ruled out as well, esp. if you have teeth where the roots are close to or in the sinus cavity.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2002, 01:21 PM   #3

zahnschmerzen HB User
Hi Deb47,

Good to hear that your last root canal seems to have gone well (so far).
As for referred pain, I've been told the tooth that causes it is usually identifiable by at most 6 months. Seems like a long time to me, but remember that my bottom tooth with the big cavity probably has caused pain since February, and still tested normal a few days before the big cavity was discovered a couple of weeks ago. So be patient! Of course, not encouraging advice when you are in pain.
BTW, I am starting to get a strange jaw ache around that bottom tooth with the surprise cavity. On the x-ray the endo took yesterday, it looked like it MIGHT (or might not, uncertainty again) be developing a small abscess. Yikes!!

Old 09-13-2002, 02:49 PM   #4

Deb47 HB User
Talking

Hi! Thanks for responding to my post! Zahn, I would get started on anti-biotics right away. It sounds to me like it is an abcess; and you want to get this under control before you proceed with a root canal. I had a big abcess many years ago, on my bottom two front teeth. I had run into a pole as a child; and a few years later those teeth exploded on me. I don't remember if the dentist put me on anti-biotics back then; but the root canals did take care of it (I remember seeing the x-ray the dentist took: it was a large abcess). But from what I've read, you need to treat the infection before getting a root canal. That way you stand the best chance of having a good outcome from the root canal.
I really hope my Endondtist can find the problem tooth...he said it could be any of several teeth. Chica Loca, how did the novocaine help locate the problem tooth? In my experience, any root canal I have done is very risky. I've had horrendous experiences with them in the past. So far, this new root canal is doing fine. It's sore, but nothing like it could be! I really need to find the offending tooth; as sometimes the pain is so hard to put up with. It seems to switch back and forth, from my bridge (which is on the top right of my mouth) to this older root canaled tooth on the bottom, same side. I am wondering if two teeth are bad, or one. Anyway, thanks for responding to my post. Deb47

Closed Thread