It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2002, 05:55 PM   #1

BetaChiAngel HB User
Angry My stupid, stupid teeth!!!!

Hi all,

I've gotten some really great advice and support here so I'm hoping someone can relate to this particular problem (among many others!) that I'm having.

A few months ago, I woke up one morning and my top front tooth was in excruciating pain. I tried every pain killer I had and nothing worked. The only thing that gave me some relief was holding ice on the gums just above that tooth.

I went to the dentist and he said it's most likely an abcess, but the x-rays were inconclusive. He said I could either get a root canal or wait it out to see if the pain goes away, and I decided to wait for financial reasons. It turns out that within a few days the pain did go away, but over the next week my gums and upper lip got very swollen and it was very uncomfortable to put pressure on that area. A few days later, a "bubble" formed right between the gum and lip, and after awhile it opened and drained some fluid. After that the pressure and swelling decreased significantly, so I never went back to the dentist.

Now, a few months later, I still get an occasional dull throbbing in that tooth, and when I press on my upper lip just above the tooth, I still feel a bit of pressure, as if there's still fluid in there. Has anyone experienced the same thing? Is this probably an abcess or could it just be an infection? I already have enough problems with my other teeth and want to avoid another root canal if possible. I'd love to hear any suggestions!

Pam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2002, 06:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

Before you attempt any serious action like a root canal, you might try a salt water rinse, using table salt, baking soda, and warm water. That might help if it is an infection, by drawing out the poison and cleaning things up. It's hard to say if that is the problem, but the salt water rinse should be safe enough to try.

I've also alternated between a salt water rinse and an antiseptic solution, years ago when I had gum problems. It really cleared things up for me.

Old 09-13-2002, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran

ana_24 HB User
Whatever you do, DO NOT get a root canal done on a front tooth. I had that an now, years later, the tooth is turning increasingly darker. I'm probably going to have to cover it up... it's very expensive! Anyway, a root canal kills the tooth. Don't do it if you can avoid it!

Old 09-13-2002, 08:02 AM   #4

BetaChiAngel HB User
To both of you, thanks a lot for the advice. I definitely do NOT want a root canal, especially after hearing your experience Ana.

Rhody, since I've had extractions done a few weeks ago I've been using warm salt water for them...I haven't had any problems with the front tooth recently, that could be why? I am really hoping it's just an infection. Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2002, 02:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
hi i had one done and didnt realise wot it was till i came on boards lol yes me dentist hater lol i had no probs gettin it one probally cos i didnt have a clue wot was happening http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif ignorance is bliss in some cases tel me how to use bakin powder please

[This message has been edited by niecsey (edited 09-13-2002).]

Old 09-13-2002, 02:19 PM   #6

BlessingsGalore HB User
Another thing to use is: straight peroxide....yes, it's safe and a very quick healer. Just rinse and spit out. It boils out the bacateria and brings healing quickly. I do this and alternate with salt water.

GOOD LUCK....I have had a horrible time with my teeth and lost to two front ones....FIGHT for them as long as you can.

SOmetimes we can even have a little trauma to them and it will clear up after a time and be just fine. Just be cautious and wait until you are dying before losing your teeth.

------------------
Blessed <><

Closed Thread