It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2002, 05:35 PM   #1

*Cat* HB User
Post Too high of a filling? Pain??

Hi, again

I had a filling almost two weeks ago. I'm wondering if it is possible that some of the pain in my jaw and teeth is because the filling is too "high"?

What are the symptoms of a filling that needs to be adjusted? It is a white filling, so looking at it I really cannot tell.

Please help! I'd need to get it fixed tomorrow as my new dentist doesn't work on Fridays!

Thanks

Cat

Old 09-11-2002, 07:36 PM   #2

Deb47 HB User
Wink

Hi, Cat. Your dentist will do this test to check your bite. He'll put this special paper between your teeth...you'll move your teth side to side, up and down, and he'll be able to see if you have any high spots (if there are high spots, they'll show up on your teeth). So don't worry. If your bite is still too high, just call and get it adjusted again, till it feels right. Just give it a few days between adjustments. Its real easy...Deb47

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2002, 07:44 PM   #3

Deb47 HB User
Hi again, Cat. I forgot to mention: if your bite if wrong, you will notice that when you put your teeth together, you will be hitting a high spot. Your bite just won't feel right; it'll feel wrong. This can cause tooth pain, if not corrected; so its good you're going to have your bite checked. I bet it is high; and soon you'll feel some relief. Just try and "stay off" the tooth afterwards, for a while; and hopefully it'll start feeling better! Deb47

Old 09-12-2002, 09:16 AM   #4

antoni HB User
Hi Deb, Hi Cat,

Deb you remember me from my bite problems from the 9 fillings I had done. Is your bridge feeling better now at least but you need more root canals???

Well, the prosthodontist did the occlusal adjustment like 2 months ago and guess what -- THe bite is still off, not only were the fillings high still in some spots(which he shaved down), too much tooth structure was removed in other parts of the teeth. I have very little top and bottom grip to my teeth. I need to have 2 molars "built up more" to get the support. I am waiting till next year though -- see how I feel.

Cat, with me and my high filling in one tooth, I had it shaved down I don't know how many times(4), refilled twice(with 2 different dentists in addition to the original quack that did the procedure) and guess what it still isn't right(currently I need to have more filling material added??).

TO make a long story short, I had all sorts of wierd sensations from the high fillings -- dizziness, facial twitching/sensations, jaw discomfort. WIth you I hope it just being one tooth they can adjust it properly, but in my case it has been like rocket scientry trying to get a filling to fit correctly????!!!!!My jaw is still off, I suffer from weird facial sensations daily.

Old 09-12-2002, 09:42 AM   #5

Deb47 HB User
Hi, Antoni. I sure do remember you. You are right: it is maddening when your bite is wrong. They took too much off this root canaled and crowned tooth, and I can feel its wrong. My endondtist shaved more down on it yesterday (this was the 4th time the tooth was shaved down). I should have stopped him; but that tooth has really been bothering me lately. It hurt worse than the tooth I was having root canaled yesterday! So I let him go ahead with it. I'm just going to live with it; as the crown is new...I paid around $345.00 for it! My bridge still bothers me...my Endondtist says a tooth next to the bridge is bad; plus he pointed out a few other teeth that look bad to him as well. He says these other bad teeth are probably causing the bridge to hurt; and that root canaled tooth as well. Its so depressing. I wonder how much more dental work I'll need in my lifetime...and how many years I'll be in pain, trying to "fix" these problems! At least my new root canaled tooth isn't too bad. It was very sore this morning; when I'd put my teeth together. The only thing to do is not put my teeth together, I guess...life sure can be interin' Deb47

Old 09-13-2002, 02:39 PM   #6

*Cat* HB User
Thumbs up

Thank you Deb and Antoni

I'm going to get this checked out. I'm really sorry to hear about the awful experiences you have had. It seems so unfair that we put our trust into a professional who ends up making our mouths miserable. Goodluck to both of you! I will be here more often.

Thank you!

Cat

Closed Thread