It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2002, 09:55 AM   #1

lmmy HB User
Post Food lodged in wisdom tooth socket

Hello

I had my lower right impacted wisdom tooth removed 3 weeks ago. The dentist stitched it up but there is left a small gap, the size of a rice but quite deep. Small food debris such as smashed up rice, noodles and chicken tend to lodge inside it. I currently use a toothpick to take it out but am told it's not good to do so. Haven't tried an irrigation syringe yet but think it won't work cos the food debris is like lodged in it. No amount of gargaling gets it out. Please advise.

And another thing is, I had my upper left wisdom tooth taken out 3 days ago through simple extraction. How long before I can eat solid food there. I am afraid that food will also lodged inside it but I can't see the hole so how am I suppose to get the food out?

Will it become infected if I dont remove it? My dentist told that a waterproof barrier has already formed so no cause for worry.

Please advise.

Old 10-04-2002, 01:15 PM   #2

greena HB User
The syringe you're talking about usually works very well. fill a glass with warm salt water, draw it up into the syringe and place the syringe very close to the hole. The force of the water should flush out the hole, You'll probably be surprised how effective it is. Usually you should begin using the syringe 1 week after surgery and from then on after every meal until the hole is gone. YOU DONT WANT THE HOLE TO CLOSE UP WITH FOOD TRAPPED UNDRNEATH THE GUM. Yes it could become infected if you leave the food particles in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2002, 01:11 AM   #3

lmmy HB User
Thanks for the reply. I asked my dentist about it. He said that the healing of the socket, occurs from bottom to top. Meaning that when it heals, the gums will push the food debris up. I am unable to find an irrigation syringe from where I live, here in Malaysia. In fact, no one I asked even knows what is it. All they could offer is the simple straight syringe while I am told that this one has a bendable tip ??

Closed Thread