It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2002, 05:33 AM   #1

justinL HB User
Post White "chunks" falling out of my mouth

Ok, this is very odd...but I searched the internet for hours and cant find anything.

For the last 6-7 years of my life...occasionally I'd have a small white chunk" picture a small little "curd" of cottage cheese...but harder fall out of my mouth.

I can feel it in the back of my throat... like it's coming up...and if I work it up...I can eventually get it out of my mouth entirely.

Recently...I have seemed to have them all the time. just the other day I was able to get 5 of them out... I couldnt "push" them out so I reached into my mouth (just before my tonsils) where I felt like they were.... and it's like I have a small little hole in the top of my mouth by where my wisdoms are.

I moved my finger around there and was able to get some of it out. The smell is AWFUL. So...is this just bacteria that is getting caught in some kind of normal hole? The hole is around where my tonsils are... I always thought these "things" were coming from my throat...but that doesnt seem to be the case.

I've never had any kind of oral disease and have had pretty good teeth my whole life (just 1 cavity)

I've never heard of anyone having this...so I'm wondering if there's some problem.

Old 09-24-2002, 01:38 PM   #2

chica loca HB User
Ah yes, 'tonsil snot'.

It's food, bacteria and other gross gunk that you are probably better off w/o that collects in your tonsil vault, and occasionally falls off, gets picked off or gets sneezed out, and then it's kind of mushy btwn the fingers and has a very bad odor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2002, 09:25 PM   #3

Phil Dawg HB User
Yes. I get the same thing.

For awhile I usta think it was peices of a tumor (Yes, I think alot of crazy things, lol) that was breaking up in my throat.

I recently stoped having them come out, but ever since I've been wondering what it is, now I do...

------------------
God Bless New York City.

Old 09-25-2002, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran

PAISLEY HB User
WOW! I LOVE THESE BOARDS!

I was just going to ask this same question today..
I used to have them all of the time too and they do smell HORRIBLE!!!! UGH!!

thank u, thank u, thank u for posting this.

Old 09-25-2002, 10:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

maryett HB User
Justin they're called tonsolliths, I have them too. Pretty disgusting eh. Refer to my post in "Bad Nose Smell" topic.

Chinchilla

Old 09-26-2002, 04:53 AM   #6

justinL HB User
Ok, thank you guys. I was starting to wonder.

Old 10-19-2002, 02:46 PM   #7
(female)

Sehsun HB User
Wow, thanks for posting this! I have had those for as long as I can remember, and I was always wondering what they were! Yes, they smell very bad.

Old 10-20-2002, 10:37 AM   #8

mushroom1 HB User
I have these two. I get about one every year. I feel something in the back of my mouth and sure enough...
I never knew anyone else had these. I asked my husband about it and he said that he never had one. It's nice to know that I am not the only one...

Old 10-21-2002, 12:21 AM   #9

Zat HB User
Tonsil Snot?
Hope it ain't catchy. LOL

not trying to be facetious but sometimes I see a line and I just gotta run with it.

Zat

Old 10-25-2002, 02:10 PM   #10

TeaBiscut HB User
LMAO!!! This is great..seriously for my entire LIFE I have been wondering what that was! Thank you thank you all for not being too embarassed to ask about this gross stuff!

Last edited by Well-come; 04-25-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #11
(female)

dian89 HB User
Unhappy Re: White "chunks" falling out of my mouth

hi. so i think i get that too, but i'm not quite sure. i get some smaller ones and actually last night a got a really big peice, pardon the grossness, but they are more of a yellowish color. is that the same thing? or what? how do i get rid of it? i really hate it and it almost scares me that this stuff is coming out of my mouth. It doens't have anything to do with your voice by any chance? I sure hope not.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
(female)

k3ya HB User
Re: White "chunks" falling out of my mouth

I had this problem start when I was around 13 on to when I turned 16...it really is a horrible curse. It bothered me so bad, I searched everywhere over the internet for cures or answers, and the only permanent answer I found (I didn't want to constantly have to look after it for the rest of my life) was to get my tonsils removed. And so I did when I was 16. Haha. Maybe I take drastic measures but I feel so much better not having to worry about those things.

They say that as you get older, your tonsils shrink and these appear a lot less. Something had eaten a hole my tonsils so there was no future for them anyways. The 10 days of recovery were absolutely horrible for me...but long term it was worth it :-)

Old 04-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
(female)

peacefrog HB User

Search "tonsil stones". I never had these either until last year, after two major surgeries. I guess its not related, but strange coincidence. It seems to be worst after doing something that causes me to breathe a little harder. Its sooo gross, but I haven't noticed an odor.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

The really only way to totally stop tonsiliths or tonsil stones is to get your tonsils out. Tonsil stones can be removed by using a medicine dropper (especially one with a curved tip) can help to suck out the stones if they are small enough. The use of a water pick to clear out the smelly little stones of accumulated debris may also help (only use an adjustable unit on the low pressure setting as you may damage tissue with the high pressure units). Use a solution of salt water, or a mixture of hydrogen peroxide with mouthwash in the water pick tank instead of (or combined with) water to cleanse the tonsil crypts and help prevent future tonsil stones.

See an ENT to see what can be done to help you.

Closed Thread