It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2002, 11:29 PM   #1

katia227 HB User
Post Horrible gag reflexes with upper denture

First of all I must mention that I am posting this message under my wifes user name, actually I am male, age 44.
Almost one year ago I had all my upper teeth removed during IV sedation and had a full denture put in while sedated, when I removed them for a thorough cleaning I had a hard time wearing the denture until my gums healed. I've had them re-aligned recently and also had the dentist cut back the pallet considerably because of my gag reflexes, actually to the point that I have to use an adhesive. However even with the pallet cut back I still have extreme difficulty wearing them, I gag terribly. Does anyone else here have this problem or have any suggestions on a way to control or minimize the gagging ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2002, 06:29 PM   #2
(female)

lola32 HB User
Gagging is a common reaction to new denture wearers, even if you aren;t prone to gagging. Since it seems to bother you more than normal I am afraid I can think of few options. One option could be to buy some Chloresceptic spray and use it to numb your palate right before you put your denture in and then try to forget about it and get accustomed to it while you are numb. Then maybe by the time the numbness wears off it won't bother you. Part of gagging is psychological so try getting your mind on something else. Hope I could help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2002, 05:59 AM   #3
Inactive

InBloom HB User
Have you seen if you can get implants?
that way you wont have to wear dentures..
i agree
they are absoloutly horrible!@

------------------
Come as you are

Old 10-21-2002, 01:30 AM   #4

Zat HB User
If you gargle with mouthwash (it has to be one with high alcohol content not the stuff with 7-15%) and then hold it in the back of your throat for 20 sec. it will numb the gag reflex. That's what I do when I want to brush my tongue.

sounds funny but it works,
Zat

Old 10-30-2002, 01:24 PM   #5

katia227 HB User
Nope , haven't checked into implants and I have heard that the cost of them is astronomical, so for the time being I'll have to struggle with the dentures.

Lola , I tried your suggestion and it seems to be a temporary solution, actually even after wearing them for a couple of hours and having my mind totally occupied with something else.....aaaach I start gagging to the point that I have actually brought up blood, (not sure where it came from)

Getting extremely frustrated with this problem, maybe I should take the time to look into implants.

Even my dentist is stumped , he says it's the worst gag reflexes he has ever seen, and he kinda cringes every time I walk into the office......oh oh not you again!!!!

Old 11-12-2002, 08:32 PM   #6

Shiloh HB User

I've been wandering the net this evening looking for my own information on dentures, and I happened to see something I think may be of use to you. --I have no idea whether this actually works, because I don't yet have dentures, myself.

In order to solve this problem, I've seen quite a few people say it helps to stay up as late as you possible can one night--to the point where you're actually falling asleep while sitting up. At the very last moment before finally lying down, slip the denture into your mouth. I've seen quite a few people say that after a week's worth of this practice, they've been able to wear their denture without gagging.

I hope it helps you. Good luck!

Closed Thread